Habitat - Indoor :: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:16 pm   Link and her 40 Gallon!

Link is now in her 40 gallon tank, I haven't added much besides a floating basking spot. She is adjusting to having all that extra room to swim and when I first put her in the water she almost seemed like she didn't know how. I'm a bit worried but she is practicing a LOT and treading water better.

My question I guess is as she was neglected for so long before she came into my novice care - will she re-learn to swim? I worry because I have a floating basking spot (suctioned cupped to side of tank) and my worry is will she figure out how to get up on it or should I get some kind of things to raise her other non-floating spot? How long should I worry?
Rylanda

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:18 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Hi ! It's instinct to a turtle she did not forget. Think about this Link came from a home in hell ! Neglect and to me torcher...
Since she found you a caring Mom will be better and IS !
Links stressed out some. Ok been in three different tanks , two countries , the move itself... Let her stay in the 40 gallon for awhile don't make a lot of changes , do the basics and watch the water level with those suction cup. Don't want it hard to get out the water to bask and cause more stress. Let her calm down may take a few weeks after all she 's been through. Give her more attention to let her know you are there even if it's just sitting in a chair next to the tank. When I reading a book times I read out loud so Piggley hears me and he just stays there watching me until I stop. That's part of the reason why I keep my TV chair next to his stock tank and times just hang my hand over top and push him around while watching a movie or he's in my lap , movie boring he just sleeps.
Time to observe well and give it a few weeks.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:05 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Makes sense with all her shuffling around and getting used to not being neglected and tortured.

She goes to the ramp on her new floating basking dock, partially gets on it but doesn't seem to want to pull herself right up it or maybe she's not strong enough yet?

Her swimming and water treading has gotten great already. I just worry she's not basking yet but I suppose she will figure it out on her own. If I put her up on it she just plops back into the water.
Rylanda

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:44 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Link's only checking it out not quite sure about it yet. Make sure you have proper placement of the UVA and UVB bulbs and temp's good on basking area. Being new to her you could put some cardboard on the outside of glass behind basking area or even on two sides to help her feel more comfortable and safe. Everyone must be running around house yet unpacking still. Lots of excitement for her , may help her calm down, then later remove it once she's settled in .

I have four ramps for Piggley to use easily but only uses them once in a blue moon. He rather climb up the hard way. One area is like a sheer cliff 5" straight up but has no problem doing it ! They are Very Strong and great climbers !
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:44 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Everything is all unpacked :-) Link has a corner in the living room where we all watch TV or do whatever, she's on an angle so she can see us and I talk during the day. The dogs have zero interest in Link or the tank, their only interest is if they can have another treat so that's good for Link.

UVA and UVB lights are in good spots, got new bulbs for the lamps when I arrived. Link is eating good (a little piggy actually if I would allow it), she's loving all the extra room to swim I'm sure of it she just seems happier. The heater in the water is working well also, so maybe she just doesn't want to bask but I will keep watching her.

We're going to use one of the old tanks (the smaller one) and set that up to put fish and other things for Link in but that will be in a week or so. I'm just used to her basking for hours and hours and 1 and a half days.. .nothing...
Rylanda

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:25 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Piggley wants some pic's of the 40 !
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:46 am   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Here are 2 pictures a "before" when she was dumped at my door (poor thing this image still breaks my heart) and "after" now that she's in her larger tank (no it's not full I had it full and she was NOT happy, so I'll add water a bit at a time until it's full or where Link likes it. She's been through so much I'm not going to "force" her to have her home MY way - I want her to be comfortable.

P.S. she is BASKING today yay!!!!
Before.jpg
Before: When dumped at my door

After.jpg
After: In her 40 Gallon
Rylanda

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:09 am   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Nice , looking good ! Much better home than your neighbor had. Keep observing and she will tell you what she wants in her home. Years ago with "Little Joe" he was always trying to hide. I made a circle of plastic plants , not in a clump , like a big ring and tied them together so he couldn't move them. When he felt the need he would go in them and feel safe. His private space his little camp ground. Then one day he felt comfortable and never used it again.
That pump looks like it will do the job for that tank , may have to clean it little more than another type.
Like that you offered two docks !

Not now but one day you will get tired of those suction cup , always changing out and that plastic rail floating dock rides on and always adjust evaporation to it. I took it all the way off and made a bridal like on a kite and hooked it to the top rim , always floats. No where for a turtle to get caught behind being the way they love to squeeze behind things. When that day comes this is just my method that I use , could work for you and others.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 am   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

I put up 2 docks for her because she can't seem to get on the floating one even though it has a nice ramp and the other is like climbing a cliff but I'm catering to her needs so she'll be happy and Mom won't panic as much.

I am saving to get a Fluval FX4 I hope at Christmas time that will do for both this 40 gallon tank great AND the 125 gallon tank I want to get at Christmas time too (or sooner if I find a used one for sale cheap).

I do have a question on maintenance though. I purchased a manual siphon that I use to clean the bottom of the tank (then top up the water again after testing it) but is there a type of "vacuum" that is electric I can purchase to do this? The manual siphon doesn't seem to have enough "oompf" and I've looked around but not finding anything or maybe I'm just not looking in the right spots?
Rylanda

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:29 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Two docks are always good , lets her decide if warn up or just dry off.

Rylanda , keep in mind filters are rated for fish gallons. Trutles need (2x3x's flow) some even say (3-4x's flow). The Fiuval FX4 is great for up to 250 fish gallons if the 125 ever full at 250 gallons would work but at the minimum range for a turtle. FX6 flow is at 400 gallons would be last filter you ever buy. Shop around new or used you will see the FX6 sometimes only $20-$30 more. This time of year filters start going on sale (Memorial Day) , use a Price Tracker to watch prices ! Sometimes it depends , only the FX6 could be on sale and not the FX4. I got my FX6 last year for $285 with a free vacuum. Price Trackers help ! Used , please be careful .
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

I'll keep my eyes open for the Fluval FX6 to go on sale or ask for it for Christmas time

Any information on the maintenance?
Rylanda

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:28 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Maintenance is very simple and easy. As with any filter a good cleaning schedule must be done. Although with a FX6 you have 1.5 gallon area of media (A LOT ) you will not have to clean every week with one turtle. Not even two weeks. But I do every two week for peace of mind. I pushed it four weeks for a "test" and all was still good with one turtle. Go to the Fluval site and compare the 4 and 6 and watch prices. A FX6 may be a lot for a 40 gallon but you could crank it down some until you get the 125.

Note : as with any filter you do not reduce the flow on the inlet side the pump could pump canister dry. ALWAYS control flow on the outlet side so canister stays full all the time.

You can always still use what you have and keep the FX in the box until you get the 125 !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:52 am   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

They sell battery powered gravel cleaners if you just want to pick up some waste/debris. They usually have mixed reviews, so you might not like it. If you want to simple drain and refill quickly, pick up some clear 1/2" airline tubing at a local hardware store (they should sell it to you by the foot) and a small pump. I've been using this one: https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML905 ... B004IMVMAI
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:39 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Good news!!! Since my birthday is in 2 days (Sunday)... I just got a GREAT present! A Fluval FX6!!!!! I'm reading through the set up booklet and will hope to have this up and running by Sunday! What a great surprise for me and Link will be happy, happy too!!

As for the gravel cleaner (I don't have gravel in the tank) I got a coupon for a free one with the Fluval FX6 so I'll see how that goes when that comes in the mail/courier etc. If not I might just take your idea Steve and do that!

Thanks and I can't wait to get this new filter set up!!
Rylanda

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Congratulation's and Happy Birthday !

This is me and me alone but you may want to try to see yourself : I do not use the outlet nozzle. Just open ribbed pipe into tank for a different effect and 1" above water line!

Before you make your final cut on piping 1) Try with nozzle first 2) I then took off the two deflectors on the nozzle (snap on/off) 3) took nozzle all the way off placed above and then below water line. You will see the difference.

Think about one MAIN thing ! Page #7 hose placement... If you cut to fit the 40gallon when you get the 125 you will be limited on where to put hoses. Me I would cut the 13' pipe in half , yes will be long for the 40 but you will need it for the 125 placement. I know will not be a straight shot up and down as in diagram . It will save you from buying another hose when you get the 125 (much wider tank) and want better placement for flow control !

Some say cut one at a time and save the leftover to use with a coupling for any changes that come down the road. Yes that will work , ME I do not like having any couplings when it come's to a water hose in the house , just a possible leak on the floor. Think / measure twice and cut once !

Don't forget if you crank it down some for the 40 use the outlet side !! Never the inlet side!!

Hope I'm clear in what I'm trying to say , just something to think about with the 125 coming.
litefoot

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor