General Care Discussion :: Shell problems?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:43 pm   Shell problems?

There is some white thing on my 2yo's shell. It's hard, I don't think there is pus. She does everything normally, except she climbs around frantically but she does so since she is young. There is a heater, a basking area, and a UV lamp.
Also I'm aware that she is too fat, so we are cutting her diet. She's shedding a lot too.
The actual plastron isn't visibly red, it's the lights I think.

Also another guy has quite a large bulge at the hind limb, but it's very soft to touch, almost like an empty sag, and he can easily retract his legs. From the front and front limb he didn't look fat at all, and there's no (or at least not very visible) pyramiding. Is he overweight or what?

Thanks
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 9.39.05 am.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 9.38.51 am.png
Last edited by rosaceae on Wed May 10, 2017 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
rosaceae

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:02 am   Re: Shell problems?

Hi, I'm no expert but on YouTube they say that is a concern !! As it could be she'll rot which means you must either try one of the methods to cure it ( find it on YouTube there's plenty results ) or take wr to the vet just search "how to tell if my turtle has shell rot.
Luke donaldson

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:38 am   Re: Shell problems?

Again sorry for your loss of the other turtle you posted about. Pictures above do have several issues. What ever method you try , is a must. Deformity's commonly found in captive turtles are from poor habitat and improper feeding. Things that can be corrected ! It's a must that you give more time/attention on it's setup and more of a balance diet to correct and prevent. Can you post some pic's of the setup ? Over time even with a few sheds I think will still have some shell issues , not all will clear up. This deformity can vary in severity from barely noticeable to life threating !
Can you please answer these questions : viewtopic.php?t=2142
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:25 am   Re: Shell problems?

What's the white thing you're referring too?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion