General Care Discussion :: Hanging out on filter

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:12 am   Hanging out on filter

I just got a baby Painted turtle yesterday and he is spending most of his time sitting on the filtration system on the opposite end of his basking spot. I'm wondering if he's just de-stressing from the move or what the case may be?
This is my first turtle as an adult. I had one as a kid and I just don't want to screw it up! Lol
AllieSkye12

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 pm   Re: Hanging out on filter

Hello and Yes , may just feel safer there. It's hiding place. Some like to hang out on air stones to. Takes time for them to warm up to people and some never do especially when all is new. Just offer what he needs to be happy and healthy and all will be good.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 pm   Re: Hanging out on wants

Today the filter, next week some other odd ball spot.
As long as he can get up to bask when he wants just let him hang out for awhile.
All you need to do is make sure the filter intake has some kind of covering so his little foot doesn't accidentally get stuck in the intake.

PS Congratulations on being a Turtle mom
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:11 pm   Re: Hanging out on filter

Allie, being how turtles love to squeeze into place's make sure you have no tight spots. Filter lines , anything. They will even dig something up just to see if anything under there and make something fall. Check for safety , you don't want this little guy get caught under or in something and drown.

Once he associates you with food it will get better , always begging. Don't give in to that , better to under feed than over feed ! Then down the road a trust will build. They are great pets/ children. Piggley and I have a great relationship , took time , patients and paid off. Be a good observer he will tell you what he wants and need. Piggley even tells me how to remodel his tank. When I moved the airline he dug it up , back and forth until he said that's better. Guess I had it to close to his underwater sleeping area. Since then he never dug it up. It's his home he's the boss !
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion