General Care Discussion :: How Many Eggs Can a Turtle Hold?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:44 pm   How Many Eggs Can a Turtle Hold?

Darn! and Double Darn! (I didn't want to take over MileMarker's Easter Egg post, so I am starting my own thread)
anyway... Darn!
After weeks of recon in the yard, three days of digging and abandoning all three holes, Penelope decided she didn't want to be gravid anymore.
Frustrating but not unusual for her. This seems to be her norm. Maybe she likes to make the best use of her time and just waits until a couple of clutches pile up.
Oh well - guess I will just go on 'egg bound' watch and enjoy my break from turtle yard duty for a week or three... or four.

So how many eggs can a turtle hold?
Penelope held 20 one year and 15 another year. Let's see the count this year.
She's goofy, but I love her.
:msgreen:
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:12 pm   Re: How Many Eggs Can a Turtle Hold?

Does she produce eggs year round or is it just seasonal?

I've heard of up to 30 eggs, but I'm not sure if they lay them in multiple clutches.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:45 pm   Re: How Many Eggs Can a Turtle Hold?

For several years it was in March. Then one year she started in February, got egg bound, the vet helped her along, but Penelope was already starting to generate another clutch. She laid those in March. The year after that she started her 'gravidity' in February, stopped, started up again and laid a double batch in late March-ish (?)
The last two years she didn't act gravid at all
This year she showed signs of being gravid in February. When I took her out and she just puttered on the patio, and then no gravid behavior after a few days. Same thing in March. Now she just came off a few-week bender. She isn't acting out of sorts, but I may take her to the vet anyway since I don't know why she was dormant and she is past due on her bi-annual check up (shame on me - tsk tsk) and because she is Penelope - a special little snowflake.
I will just make a non urgent appointment.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
penelope

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:04 am   Re: How Many Eggs Can a Turtle Hold?

Interesting that it's a seasonal thing for her. Some of other RES produce non-stop or not at all.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:00 pm   Re: How Many Eggs Can a Turtle Hold?

She never did lay those darned eggs. She went back to life as usual.
Maybe she is having a mid-life crisis or something. Oh well. She is in good health otherwise, so here we are with three egg-less years. She sure keeps me on my toes.
penelope

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:25 pm   Re: How Many Eggs Can a Turtle Hold?

An update - Bernie had egg #13 today - from Feb 12 to Aug 21. Over 6 months of turtle shenanigans.. running around, hiding, digging .. it is crazy..

Please be ready for a long term commitment as the female turtles get older.

Have fun everyone ! I have 6 months before the insanity starts again !
MileMarker

Return to General Care Discussion