Habitat - Indoor :: Need a new tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:45 pm   Need a new tank

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know where I can get a really good used 48x24x17 tank. My turtle needs to move up quick but looking at new and some used they are really expensive.
I'm in the Seattle, WA area.
Thanks and Happy Easter!!!!
Tina
2 Kids
1 St. Bernard-Fletcher
1 Black Lab-Sam
1 RES Squirt
Jet

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:22 pm   Re: Need a new tank

About 80 gallons... Craigslist/yard sales will be your best bet unless you're willing to look into stock tanks. How big is the tank now?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:57 pm   Re: Need a new tank

He is currently in a 55 gallon. I've looked on craigs list but the only one I found was one that had the cut out on the side. Very frustrating.
Thanks,
Tina
Tina
2 Kids
1 St. Bernard-Fletcher
1 Black Lab-Sam
1 RES Squirt
Jet

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:43 am   Re: Need a new tank

How big is he now? A 55 gallon is not too bad for a male RES. Maybe look into an ATBA so you can fill the current tank up all the way.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:44 pm   Re: Need a new tank

His shell measures 7 inches from head to tail and measures 6 inches across. We took him to the vet because he has not been eating and only wanting to bask and stay by the heater when he's in the water. The vet can find nothing so far but told us he should go into a bigger tank. I've had him for 11 years and every change of season he gets a bit quiet and doesn't do much but this year it seems to be going on much longer than usual.
Tina
2 Kids
1 St. Bernard-Fletcher
1 Black Lab-Sam
1 RES Squirt
Jet

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:28 am   Re: Need a new tank

Hi , I'm one of those guy's who like's a stock tank. I'm on a tight budget / retired. I find you can do so much more with them than a glass tank , BUT that's just me! Much cheaper. Haven't seen a natural pond with glass sides, Ha ha, to me makes them feel safer. Hey , again that's just me. They are not for everyone.

Maybe you have a LPS rotating old stock out and maybe make a deal with them on a tank. Even one that leaks , you can reseal it ? Save some money that way.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:23 pm   Re: Need a new tank

I was able to find a new 75 gallon tank for a good price yesterday at a pet store that I have been going to for awhile that sells just about everything. If I couldn't find one I was going to go with the stock option. This one is long and wider than what he is in now. So I'll be setting that up today!!!!
Thanks for all the help.
Tina
Tina
2 Kids
1 St. Bernard-Fletcher
1 Black Lab-Sam
1 RES Squirt
Jet

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:41 am   Re: Need a new tank

Congrats on the upgrade!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:41 pm   Re: Need a new tank

Thanks I hope this gets him back to his normal behaviour!
Tina
2 Kids
1 St. Bernard-Fletcher
1 Black Lab-Sam
1 RES Squirt
Jet

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:50 pm   Re: Need a new tank

75 gallon good find. Maybe offer him same style basking area but larger and stronger as he grows. Being somewhat familiar to him should make him more comfortable in the new tank. Normal behavior for a turtle ... hell my Piggley always throwing something new at me.
A lot turtles I had over the years normal behavior to them was not being normal , guest that's what makes it interesting.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:59 pm   Re: Need a new tank

This one usually goes very quiet around the change of season, but this time it seems like it's a longer time. In the 11 years I've had him he hasn't missed many meals, this time it seems he has been eating very sparingly. He has a very large basking platform where he can do a total haul out. That's why I think we needed to get this larger tank, there is not much other room for p.
him to swim and dance. It's always something with these guys you can predict them so much then they change it up.
Tina
2 Kids
1 St. Bernard-Fletcher
1 Black Lab-Sam
1 RES Squirt
Jet

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:07 pm   Re: Need a new tank

With summer coming around that sparingly eating will change. I do feel there taste can change or get tired of some foods. My Piggley use to love Turnip greens today don't touch them?
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:22 pm   Re: Need a new tank

I am hoping. He's not even going for kale at this point. Who knows with these guys they always keep everyone guessing.
Tina
2 Kids
1 St. Bernard-Fletcher
1 Black Lab-Sam
1 RES Squirt
Jet

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:55 pm   Re: Need a new tank

What have you tried feeding? My male RES has not gone back to his greens either. Have you tried live foods? What about using a veggie clip?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:13 pm   Re: Need a new tank

Kale, romaine lettuce or cucumber peels he usually likes them. We do get him a live fish but not often I'm afraid of parasites. I haven't tired a veggie clip.
We put him in his new tank tonight we need to make adjustments to the water level etc, but he actually did eat a little of the dried shrimp he likes. So I am feeling confident it was his environment. I know someone who feeds his male RES live crickets, I've never tired them but wondering if it would be worth it and less risk than feeder fish. Now I have to look around for a better basking platform, since this tank is taller than the last one he might have a struggle climbing up. So many things to adjust when you make a tank change!
Thanks for your help.
Tina
Tina
2 Kids
1 St. Bernard-Fletcher
1 Black Lab-Sam
1 RES Squirt
Jet

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor