General Care Discussion :: Advice for nursing unhealthy RES back to health...

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:50 pm   Advice for nursing unhealthy RES back to health...

Thought I was saving two hatchings from someone who caught them just to make money. But when I picked them up I was informed she got them a year ago. They are about the size of a quarter and a half dollar. I thought the larger was going to die but it is now eating well although mostly inactive. I have three other healthy RES and I know how to care for them but I am wondering if there are additional measures I can take with these to get them on the fast-track to recovery. The small one acts healthy but has an extremely soft shell. The other is super thin and weak and seems sensitive to light. The have everything my big turts have. Just wonder if they need more.
timmytommytutu

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:40 pm   Re: Advice for nursing unhealthy RES back to health...

Give yourself a pat on the back for getting the appetite going.
The first thing that comes to mind is providing a steady warm temperature, even if you need to create a controlled environment.
When my turtle was very ill the one thing my vet insisted upon was never letting the temp drop below 80 - not even temporarily.
For a larger turtle I would try diluted Betadine soaks for the shell, and but I don't know if that is appropriate for little guys and gals. I don't have any experience with them. I wish I had more info to offer.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:44 pm   Re: Advice for nursing unhealthy RES back to health...

Thanks. Will boost the temp to 80°.
timmytommytutu

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:56 am   Re: Advice for nursing unhealthy RES back to health...

Any more info about their tank?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion