Habitat - Indoor :: Overall help

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:21 pm   Re: Overall help

I wash with strong hose , soak a day , hose again then in tank. That's my way other's have there way. Also NO soap.
What you don't pick up on today Link will train you in time !
Be careful with sales. Lots just raise MSRP or vary it say take 20% off and call it's a sale. All the time there regular selling price is cheaper. Not all sales are sales!
Once you give Link more room his turtle habits will kick in.
Feeding at his point in life should have greens every day and the protein side never more than what could fit his head , I go a little less. ( do not include his neck only head size) I also skip protein here and there and make it all greens. As far as the greens if his shell is 4" make the veggies 4" in size. If you feed twice a day use above by half at each feeding and that will be good. Turtle like to be feed on a schedule. Also some like to eat more when they wakeup. If you use twice a day try half and half to start on above. Maybe go 3/4's the serving size in morning and small about 1/4 serving size at night. He will adjust and always beg. Better to under feed than overfeed !
Ask you grocer if you could have one leaf each of what's on that list you looked at , tell him it to see what your turtle likes. Most will give it free but still offer to pay. Once you find what he likes best that is a start. My Piggley loves Romaine ! You may want to feed out the tank in safe bowel / container with a little tank water , make the mess there and they normally poop right after they eat. That will keep tank cleaner for you , save on some maintenance. Turtles can not eat on dry land , use water to get the food down. No tongue action and no salivary glands.
The age...to many variables diet , his genome ... unless you hatched him it's a guess. He may be 2-3 years old that's my guess.
OH , Piggley almost 4 now!
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:47 pm   Re: Overall help

2 to 3 years old wow I wouldn't have guessed that old already, I still call him a baby.

I like to eat greens myself so I will get a bit of everything and what he doesn't like I'll toss myself a salad.

I didn't see carrot tops on the list but read that sometimes they like them also - are these ok?

I have a list per your suggestion, I have noted all your suggestions and although I'm nervous I think I can do this, either way I will do this for Link.

I will set Link on a schedule for sure as well for feeding, but for treats.

I have one other question - not really about habitat. I may be moving about an hour and 30 minutes away, is there a proper way to travel with Link? Would a large plastic container with a bit of water work? Would I put a couple of air holes in the top for Link?
Rylanda

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:06 pm   Re: Overall help

Carrots and the tops yes but limit usage. Print that Nutrition link will come in handy.
Age is very hard to tell but yes that's my guess. They grow fast when young that's why as a baby need more protein Link's not a baby but you can still call him your baby. He's a juvenile those hard years , Ha Ha!
That short of distance yes that's ok , small container would be better so he doesn't slosh around , a small hand towel / face rag in the water for him to grab on to and keep it under 100 mph !
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:18 pm   Re: Overall help

Got it. I want to get a better photo of Link's claws, I keep looking at them and they aren't huge so maybe he is a she but Link is staying as the name.

Ok a hand towel or wash cloth, smaller container. Now will this stress out Link the travel? I should not put food in the container with Link when I make this move right?

I can do point A to point B in less then 1.5 hours and WAY under 100mph LOL

I have that nutrition link printed already but didn't see anything about carrot tops.

Now to pick a birthday for Link and pray I do all this the right way!
Rylanda

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:26 pm   Re: Overall help

That's why when I'm not sure I go with a unisex name.
No food.
You will be a good mom , congratulation's if your first.
I'm not one for carrots myself or Piggley. The top's really no nutrition. And do limited usage , more as a treat.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:47 pm   Re: Overall help

If your water source is relatively good, then I wouldn't bother with a test kit. What kind of filter do you have now?

If traveling with him, don't use any water. Get a cardboard box, line it with old towels (there will be poo/pee).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:15 pm   Re: Overall help

I will make sure no water when I make this move in a couple of weeks.

The filter is a Tetra Whisper something that came with the tank and basking platform. Later today I'll be getting the larger tank and that has a filter too so I'll know exactly what kind when I get it about 6pm est today.

I'm going to get a test kit just in case and it will give me peace of mind to boot since I'm so nervous about all of this.

Today I am thrilled because Link is basking on the platform for the very first time since he was unceremoniously dumped at my door. Link is just laying on the bottom part of the shell with legs all stuck out, then pulls them back in after a bit, then sticks them back out.. it's like Link is doing the hokey pokey but I'm happy about this. Maybe it means I've done something right for Link.

How long do they bask for? Is there a normal amount of time and when should I start to worry it's too long?

Do turtles have a super special food treat they like better than others? I'm thinking I could use something like that to get Link used to my hand and me. I understand to wash my hands before and very thoroughly after handling a turtle for the salmonella they could be carrying and since I have other pets and am an avid cook, I'm very wary of that.

I am going to plant some edible plants for Link as I love to garden as well. I'd like to get some aquatic plants for the tank too, I'll save up and go to a shop for those as I'd rather not go hunting in pond for them.

Are there rocks that I should stay away from? Like slate or anything, is there any that are toxic to turtles?
Rylanda

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:20 pm   Re: Overall help

I will make sure no water when I make this move in a couple of weeks.

The filter is a Tetra Whisper something that came with the tank and basking platform. Later today I'll be getting the larger tank and that has a filter too so I'll know exactly what kind when I get it about 6pm est today.

I'm going to get a test kit just in case and it will give me peace of mind to boot since I'm so nervous about all of this.

Today I am thrilled because Link is basking on the platform for the very first time since he was unceremoniously dumped at my door. Link is just laying on the bottom part of the shell with legs all stuck out, then pulls them back in after a bit, then sticks them back out.. it's like Link is doing the hokey pokey but I'm happy about this. Maybe it means I've done something right for Link.

How long do they bask for? Is there a normal amount of time and when should I start to worry it's too long?

Do turtles have a super special food treat they like better than others? I'm thinking I could use something like that to get Link used to my hand and me. I understand to wash my hands before and very thoroughly after handling a turtle for the salmonella they could be carrying and since I have other pets and am an avid cook, I'm very wary of that.

I am going to plant some edible plants for Link as I love to garden as well. I'd like to get some aquatic plants for the tank too, I'll save up and go to a shop for those as I'd rather not go hunting in pond for them.

Are there rocks that I should stay away from? Like slate or anything, is there any that are toxic to turtles?
Attachments
Link Basking.jpg
Link Basking 1st time!!
Rylanda

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:37 pm   Re: Overall help

I would still suggest you return the new tank, if possible. Aquarium tanks 55 gallons and under should cost only be about $1 per 1 gallon. Turtle kits (and kits in general) are not worth it.

Great to hear him basking. It's a great sign. They can bask anywhere for a couple of hours to six. Each turtle is different, so some will bask more than others. I wouldn't worry about it being too long as the temperatures are good.

RES are big eaters and beggars. They often outcompete other similar turtles. Live prey is always top of their list, but my RES love white chicken meat (boiled and I feed them in a separate container when using messy stuff like this).

Check your local craigstlist as people often offer their excess plants. Natural rocks are safe, it depends on what you're using them for. River rock is pretty good and be careful never to put them in boiling water.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:48 pm   Re: Overall help

We call that superman pose. Or maybe in this case could be super girl pose. She's practicing now will get very good down the road.
Good sign , Link's getting comfortable with all !

How about to save some money go bare bottom now , maybe one or two only with a live or plastic plant. Make saving for your filter up grade priority.

Basking is something they love just as much as swimming. Hours at a time.

Save that money you can always add large rocks later. See how Link likes a bare bottom.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:15 pm   Re: Overall help

I'll see if I can return this "kit" I bought but I doubt I can. I may keep it for this "live" food Link will need (someone else will have to feed it to Link when I'm not looking).

This 40 gallon tank I'm getting today is only $40 and will have a filter and some other things with it. I found it on a site like Craigslist but named differently.

IF I like this tank I'm going to look at today (the $40 one) I will not be putting gravel in. If I don't like it I will remove the gravel from the current tank and keep looking, saving etc.

Does this photo help with telling if Link is a boy or girl? Link is basking I didn't want to get too close and scare Link off, seems so content right now but I'm very curious if he/she is a he/she LOL Link looks like he/she is actually sleeping while up on this rock and not mooching !!

So boiled white chicken? Do you put in small chunks or just strips? Could I put it on Link's basking area to eat it as I read they don't like to eat outside the water area.

Thanks!
Attachments
Link Claws.jpg
Link's Claws
Rylanda

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:42 pm   Re: Overall help

I myself don't eat chicken so Piggley doesn't get any. I know turtles have no tongue action or saliva glands need water to swallow. Seen turtles take food off land and or a dock into the water to eat. Steve uses chicken , he will see this and let you know about on a dock?
I had turtles at 3" and on some was showing signs , but all turtles not the same , easier at 4" to tell ! I'm leaning towards a girl with those small even nails but lets give it more time. Either way you will still love Link. When we know for sure then you can set up for that final adult size tank. That's after you win that Lotto and you could adopt me to. Ha ha
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:45 pm   Re: Overall help

If Link is a girl, when (age) will she lay eggs? If they aren't fertilized what happens to the eggs or will I land up with a bunch of baby turtles?

I'll wait for Steve to answer on the chicken thing, I love chicken so that would help with protein for Link over the living stuff.

I'll update soon as I get back from picking up this 40 gallon tank with stuff for $40 IF I think it's good enough that is.

I can only hope I win the lotto at this point!
Rylanda

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:09 pm   Re: Overall help

Piggley's hoping for a girl / girlfriend.
Some captive RES's can produce eggs as early as 3-4 years but likely not be viable .
If gravid a nesting site should be offered or have access to a safe back yard to lay eggs. Don't want her to retain any eggs , bad. Any unfertilized you find dispose of them.
If you don't want 20 more turtles don't let Link go on a date , ( could end up with fertilize eggs) RES's are overpopulated now. One hard enough to start.
Let not jump the gun , male/female , may be a year or so before you know for sure. Knowing gender today would help a lot but ! Yes would be nice to start with a 100-120 tank but that's not the real world to most beginners. We make that tank as turtle friendly as one can. Could fill it all the way for 40gal and make above top basking area. (ATBA) to buy a few years.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:58 pm   Re: Overall help

Ok well if Link is a girl, I don't want any babies so no dates for her! Now if I remember biology correctly, if she hasn't had contact with a male all the eggs should be non-viable right, just like a chicken.

I got the 40 gallon tank for $40, it came with a filter that can be hooked on the side or put under water (NOT under gravel) it has a log decoration, a heater, thermostat and the man threw in another light with bulb! It had large gravel and flat-ish rocks in it so I've already scooped them out into a bucket. I'm exhausted it was a chore getting it into the house so the rest of the cleaning will have to wait until tomorrow.

I don't have anything that I can put the tank on so it may have to sit on the floor for the time being and I'll get something to cover the top to keep the dogs out, not that I think they'd touch it - they seem put off about this whole thing anyhow.

Now this tank is dirty - but I can't use soap to clean it? Just water and a good scrubbing with rags correct? I've taken a photo of the filter that this guy used - he had 3 turtles in this tank at one time. The filter is a Fluval.
Attachments
Filter Info.jpg
Filter Info
Filter Photo 1.jpg
Filter Photo #1
Rylanda

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor