General Care Discussion :: How Big Should A Tank Be?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:27 pm   How Big Should A Tank Be?

I have a 65 gallon in my bedroom for a 11 inch turtle... I keep telling my mom to give her more water, as there are only four inches of water and Agate(MY RES) LOVES to swim. Mom keeps saying no. That she will drown. Is this true..?

Also, we cant afford another tank for a while, and my room is small.. What should I do? How could I give her more room to swim?
:(
Agate The Turtle<3
AgateTheTurtle

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:42 am   Re: How Big Should A Tank Be?

Sliders are aquatic turtles and your RES is fully grown, so ideally, you're looking at a 100 gallon tank or bigger. 65 is not too bad, but it's pointless to have that little water in there. A better filter and more water will also make cleaning a bit easier too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:12 am   Re: How Big Should A Tank Be?

In my beginning I used my mom's old plastic laundry hamper on top secured , made simple ramp to get on. I know you have good ideas already come up with a plan , you may find one prefect size lay it on it's side (no cutting) you have top bottom sides support it for her weight then make a ramp. Just make sure she can't move it or get out , turtles are very strong. A type of dollar store may have something you could work with? That way you can give her some more water to swim. Look on this site under Habitat indoors for some ideas under basking pictures. Also google search : Above Top Basking Area " ATBA for turtles " click on images and see other ideas. Aquatic turtles love to swim and at times sleep in the water.

To save money down the road instead of glass tank how about a Rubbermaid horse tub , made to hold water , that's what I use. A lot cheaper and you can make them look nice in time. A regular plastic tote would not hold the water pressure. Save up an allowance so you can give your friend an upgrade (tank , filter ) down the road. For now you have a start , work with what you have and one day/year you could upgrade. Turtles cost money so planning and time helps. Both of you are going to be good together !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:21 pm   Re: How Big Should A Tank Be?

Thanks!! I will try the ATBA and I will heighten the water.... I will find a way. :D
Agate The Turtle<3
AgateTheTurtle

Return to General Care Discussion