Habitat - Indoor :: Suction Cups Help?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:52 pm   Suction Cups Help?

My turtles have lived together for 17 years and have never really had issues. But in the past couple weeks, one turtle has started biting and attacking the other one. So I was thinking of using something like egg crate as a divider when I'm not around to supervise them.

Does anyone have good tips on types of suction cups to use that can attach to the egg crate and then suction to the glass? And where to buy them?

Thanks!
mattr

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:55 pm   Re: Suction Cups Help?

I wish I could give you a specific brand, but those giant clear suction cups hold really well. They have a little knob on top with a hole in it, so you can tie or fasten things through it. Amazon definitely has them, but I'm pretty sure Home Depot and most hardware stores carry them, too.
annar

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:39 am   Re: Suction Cups Help?

Would those aquarium magnets be strong enough? If the tank is glass, you can also silicone 4 strip of glass so you can slide in a piece of egg crate or acrylic. As for regular suction cups, IKEA has some pretty strong ones.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:35 pm   Re: Suction Cups Help?

The ZooMed aquarium magnets hold really well through glass or acrylic. They don't get stiff and stop working like suction cups.

If you'd want something even stronger, you could order some rare earth magnets and epoxy (jb qwik) them to the divider on the inside of the tank. Use another on the outside of the tank to hold it in place. The epoxy is aquarium safe once it cures and rare earth magnets are insanely strong.

Cheers!
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:35 am   Re: Suction Cups Help?

steve wrote:The ZooMed aquarium magnets hold really well through glass or acrylic. They don't get stiff and stop working like suction cups.

If you'd want something even stronger, you could order some rare earth magnets and epoxy (jb qwik) them to the divider on the inside of the tank. Use another on the outside of the tank to hold it in place. The epoxy is aquarium safe once it cures and rare earth magnets are insanely strong.

Cheers!

VeipaCray wrote:Would those aquarium magnets be strong enough? If the tank is glass, you can also silicone 4 strip of glass so you can slide in a piece of egg crate or acrylic. As for regular suction cups, IKEA has some pretty strong ones.

Thanks. I had never heard of those aquarium magnets. That could work. How would that attach to egg crate?
mattr

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:31 am   Re: Suction Cups Help?

For my idea, it would require 4-8 of them so they form sort of a slot.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:44 am   Re: Suction Cups Help?

That would be the Zoo Med Mag Clips? Thanks! I had never seen these before, either.
annar

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:08 am   Re: Suction Cups Help?

mattr wrote:How would that attach to egg crate?

One of the smaller clips that screws into the magnet base may just grab and hold the egg crate. If not, grind down the plastic nub on the magnet, a little JB Weld Epoxy and Bob's your uncle.

annar wrote:That would be the Zoo Med Mag Clips? Thanks! I had never seen these before, either.

Yep. They work really well.

I've used a couple sets of them in on my setup.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28206&start=315#p362176
VeipaCray

Return to Habitat - Indoor