Habitat - Indoor :: Re-doing tank, question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:32 am   Re-doing tank, question

Hey guys!

So the 120g tank I have is getting redone. Silicone was starting to go so I stripped all that off and will be cleaning then resealing hopefully by end today. Now when the silicone cures the plan is the put sand substrate in, then refill. Unlike last time where I had basking platform in tank, I want this tank to be 100% filled with the 120g capacity. My thought is to build on the side or even the back of the tank and wooden fixture to make a out of tank basking area. If I did the side of tank I will also make it a shelving unit to hold supplies for tank.

Now this tank is to house my 1 adult female RES. Because she is a female she obviously lays eggs. So my thought was to build the basking area a sand substrate as well so she can lay eggs there as well as bask. My question, actually questions, are:

1. A all sand basking area sound good?

2. Should I do half sand and half something else like cork bark?

3. What should the size sand area be if I do half sand and half something else?

Any input I appreciate. I was this tank to be better then what it was. Will be running original canister but also trickle filter to help skim top, maybe she'll allow fish too! Next is also debating how to go from tank to basking, really want a natural look but prices of driftwood by me is crazy expensive!
fatality

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:18 pm   Re: Re-doing tank, question

Not many do it on the side, though there can be some additional benefits to it.

Has she laid eggs before? When was the last time?

1 - Could work, though I would still want something else there to help the plastron dry off
2 - Doesn't need to be half/half... maybe a small piece of cork directly under the lamp
3 - That might depend on the lighting setup. Are you using a MVB?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:53 pm   Re: Re-doing tank, question

She has never laid eggs before but I am not sure if she hasn't because she was never giving a spot to do it. Plan is to use a MVB for the basking area. Yea I know not many people have done it so one it's unique but also it allows me to have her get the full 120g of water to swim.
fatality

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:25 pm   Re: Re-doing tank, question

It might not be worth setting up a nest area since she might never use it. Indoor nests are also very unsuccessful. RES instincts are very picky as to when/where they want to do it. You can still do a basking area to the side, the shelving unit idea is pretty cool.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:25 am   Re: Re-doing tank, question

Ok, I was nervous that she never laid eggs before because I never gave her the proper type of area or lay and I didn't want her to be back up and cause issues if she's not laying.
fatality

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:25 pm   Re: Re-doing tank, question

Over my years I made what I would call a four star nesting area next to a 150 gallon Rubbermaid tub indoors. An old coffee table was almost the same height for me to get started. Wish I had your idea of shelving unit , I ended up with a lot of dead space. Just became another dry dock / basking area. At my old house in ground pond made an 150 sq ft nesting area. Had every type soil mixture I could find on the internet to give her a choice. Minnie never used it , yes checked it all out and a no go. Her favorite place was on the other side of pond in-between a cement bench and a wall of fountain grass. Who knew ... ? Must have been what she wanted. Lots of man hours go into our ideas but they just have another plan. If you have a safe backyard and lots of landscaping she will find what she wants. Keep a good eye on her , turtles are much faster than one thinks. I never had an indoor nesting work , as Steve said very picky ! Now in my older age I have gone with males ... some... less work.
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor