Feeding and Nutrition :: fig leaves?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:07 pm   fig leaves?

I have a fig tree in my backyard and I was wondering, how often should turtles eat fig leaves? Like should they only get them once in a while or can they be a more constant part of his diet like carrots and endive?
Squirt's Owner

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:13 pm   Re: fig leaves?

Do you know what exact kind of fig tree?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:34 am   Re: fig leaves?

I would not ! I have always grown fig trees I love Celeste and turkey figs for decades. Just the spray routine for good figs is not safe. Say you never used chemicals on that tree...now a days studies have found leaves to be toxic to pets. One should learn the names of all plants in your home and yard so that you can prevent any untoward contact with poisonous plants. Not all plants / food for humans are safe for pets. Its the SAP , has a toxicity level (3) to turtles and tortoise's in the leaves. The fruits are produced a little different and should be treated as limited use. Not even the rind or peduncle maybe only cut out the meaty pulp inside the fruit and still use caution. Fruit is not a natural food and its use should be limited to rare and in very small portions. Modern days studies have been dedicated to turtle and tortoise preservation, conservation and education. California has a good study on poisonous plant list for turtles. As do others. A fig tree is nothing more than a Ficus you can look it up also. The body mass of a turtle is not one of a human , Toxicity can range from mild irritation to severe organ damage. I have seen Blue jays and squirrels in drought years dead under fig trees trying to get as much moisture out the figs to survive. This is when I looked into different resources to find out more. Even a indoor fiddle leaf fig plant is toxic ! These are my pets / kids I , myself , rather be over cautious ... too many other safe plants to feed my friends. Lots of studies out there , it's the SAP !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:10 pm   Re: fig leaves?

steve wrote:Do you know what exact kind of fig tree?

Not sure, it hasn't started sprouting leaves yet.
Squirt's Owner

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:12 pm   Re: fig leaves?

litefoot wrote:I would not ! I have always grown fig trees I love Celeste and turkey figs for decades. Just the spray routine for good figs is not safe. Say you never used chemicals on that tree...now a days studies have found leaves to be toxic to pets. One should learn the names of all plants in your home and yard so that you can prevent any untoward contact with poisonous plants. Not all plants / food for humans are safe for pets. Its the SAP , has a toxicity level (3) to turtles and tortoise's in the leaves. The fruits are produced a little different and should be treated as limited use. Not even the rind or peduncle maybe only cut out the meaty pulp inside the fruit and still use caution. Fruit is not a natural food and its use should be limited to rare and in very small portions. Modern days studies have been dedicated to turtle and tortoise preservation, conservation and education. California has a good study on poisonous plant list for turtles. As do others. A fig tree is nothing more than a Ficus you can look it up also. The body mass of a turtle is not one of a human , Toxicity can range from mild irritation to severe organ damage. I have seen Blue jays and squirrels in drought years dead under fig trees trying to get as much moisture out the figs to survive. This is when I looked into different resources to find out more. Even a indoor fiddle leaf fig plant is toxic ! These are my pets / kids I , myself , rather be over cautious ... too many other safe plants to feed my friends. Lots of studies out there , it's the SAP !

Really? I always read that fig leaves were good for turtles, but maybe i misunderstood and they were talking about the fruit??
Squirt's Owner

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:29 pm   Re: fig leaves?

Seems like a small amount would be fine for RES, but some fig leaves and fruits are not alright for some turtles and tortoises.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:36 pm   Re: fig leaves?

RES's are very hardy and yes maybe ok for some. I would not , that's about the leaves (SAP) , the pulp of fruit I would use. It's mainly the SAP , even when I trim the tree I have to wear long working gloves because the milky white SAP irrigates my skin. Like people no two turtles are alike and could react differently.
NOTE a fig tree is a FICUS CARICA.
Here's just one of the many sites that talk about it which I found : https://tortoise.org/general/poisonp.html

From what I found tortoise's can handle them better than aquatic turtles (?) It's like anything how many book's to read before one can make up one's mind especially if half say yes then half say no ? Comes down to a personal call. A friend say's his turtle eats them , you try it and have bad results ? Think a scientist can find anything wrong with anything now a days. Too many other safe plants to use so I will pass on fig leaves (SAP in them)
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:17 am   Re: fig leaves?

Ok, Ill go ahead and pass on the fig leaves then. Thanks!
Squirt's Owner

Return to Feeding and Nutrition