General Care Discussion :: Possibly odd behavior

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:17 am   Possibly odd behavior

Hello there!

I'm newly registered but not a new turtle owner. I've had my boys for at least 10 years or so(or more!) . I've watched them grow up into adulthood. We've been through a lot together.

The reason for this post is due to some odd behavior from one of my boys (in separate tanks bc they would become territorial and bite each other). He is swimming at the glass as if he's trying to get out. I need to get a new filter but I'm wondering if there is other meaning behind him frantically swimming at me as if he was trying to tell me something. It's not hunger bc he's eating well. The temp is normal and he has all of essentials to a tank habitat. I'm concerned bc I haven't seen this from him before.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Alex & Twoey
RexNTwoey

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 am   Re: Possibly odd behavior

Are you sure they're both males? There are a few things that would cause it... egg bound, seasonal change, aggression, begging but I think you ruled those out. Does he focus on you when he's doing this? Does he stop if you put food in there? Does this occur during the same time of day?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:52 am   Re: Possibly odd behavior

Hi Steve! Thank you for your reply!

A few years back, when they were reaching maturity, the water was warmer than usual and both of their penises spiraled out. It was quite the surprise, let me tell you. Haha

He is still doing this and it's direct towards me. He's not picky about what he's eating. This happened yesterday through today. I have new food coming in so we will see what a taste for new pellets will do. He seems angry at me but it could be the change in season.
RexNTwoey

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:54 am   Re: Possibly odd behavior

It occurs almost all the time when he can see me
RexNTwoey

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:26 am   Re: Possibly odd behavior

It's a major surprise when you first see it. I do think they like to whip it out when they first start to develop but after that it's a rare encounter.

The other behavior sounds like it's just begging. Is there a feeding schedule? I find it really helps keep down some of the crazy begging when I stick to a schedule. I feed lettuce/veggies in the morning and a small amount of pellets during the evening.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:48 pm   Re: Possibly odd behavior

I try to change it up because he's such a picky eater. He's doing better but that's only because I surprised him with earthworms the night before last. He hasn't been interested in pellets at all nor any lettuce right now.

Should I hold off on an earthworm for a couple days?

Also, do you recommend aquatic plants?
RexNTwoey

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:50 pm   Re: Possibly odd behavior

Oh and yes, I do morning feeding and evening feeding
RexNTwoey

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:01 am   Re: Possibly odd behavior

New update: I just tried to give him worms, watched him gobble them up and I walked away. I walk back and saw that he threw them back up....Now I know something is wrong!

I don't know what to do...
RexNTwoey

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:18 am   Re: Possibly odd behavior

Is it possible he ate too fast? That's one way for them to vomit.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:22 am   Re: Possibly odd behavior

Am I just being overly worried? haha
RexNTwoey

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:29 am   Re: Possibly odd behavior

You know your turtles better than anyone, so you will be able to pick up signs of distress. Whenever I suspect anything wrong, I just stick to the basics and observe as much as possible.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:38 am   Re: Possibly odd behavior

I know how to cure my dog's upset stomach but I am not quite sure what to do for my turtle.

What have you done when you have found signs of distress or when they're ill?
RexNTwoey

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:39 am   Re: Possibly odd behavior

Hi Rex ! Season's are changing and turtles feel that , instinct. My RES's seems like every year comes up with something different. I myself only feed once a day and skip a day here and there. (adults) Twice a day is good also if small amounts say half head size at each meal and veggies also. Give it a day or so could be too much to fast and or constipation. Live plants can help to cut down some of that begging but you may need to set up a separate plant tank to keep up with them. That's swimming at glass sounds like he's a great beggar. At 10 years old they are better at it. He associates you with food for sure. To me it's better to under feed than over feed. When you do cut his dinner off and he still begs just play with him distract his begging ,works for me.

Be careful about the ground the worms came from...! Any weed killer , bonus S used? Maybe got from a bait shop?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:40 am   Re: Possibly odd behavior

Simple foods/pellets... offer less, don't let them eat too fast, keep an eye on temps, make sure they do their turtle stuff. And when it's warm enough, that they get to go outside.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:58 am   Re: Possibly odd behavior

Thank you Litefoot! I usually get the worms from a pet store. I appreciate the advice and see how offering less or skipping the second meal works.

Again, thank you very much Steve! The temp is at 76 degrees and doesn't go below that. Sadly, I moved into the city around August so getting them outside might be tough but they have access to sun by the windows and I will have it propped open as much as possible. My outdoor enclosure is in the northern suburbs at my family's house so I will bring them there once in a while. Hopefully moving them too much won't create too much stress.
RexNTwoey

Return to General Care Discussion