Urgent Care :: Dark stuff under shutes, shes not shedding.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 am   Dark stuff under shutes, shes not shedding.

A while ago i noticed that my female western painted turtle had some black stuff under the edges of her belly shutes.
I have tried scrubbing the area to remove it but it seems to be under the shutes and they aren't loose or anything. I also changed the UVB and got a new heater for them because their old one had stoped working. I have been feeding her jello shots with blueberries and cuttle bone to promote shedding and was hoping that this together with her basking quite a lot would help her shed the affected shutes but it doesn't seem to be happening. She's quite active and eats as much as ever. However i have noticed her climbing around the basking area and rubbing against/scratching the ramp at night. What's happened to her shell and what can i do to make her better? Im starting to get worried.

How big is your turtle?
6"

How long have you had it?
8 years

What is the water temperature?
26C or 78f

Did you use a thermometer?
yes

Are you using a water heater?
yes

How much water is in there?
360l

Are you using a water conditioner?
No, but the water quality here is really good.

Are you using any filtration?
Yes, big fluval canister filter.

What is the basking temperature?
27c 80f.

Is there a basking light?
yes

Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on?
Yes

What kind is it or what is it made out of?
ATBA, wood with some fake grass.

Is there a UVB light?
Yes, <6 monts old

What have you been trying to feed it?
Jello shots mainly. Some blueberries and cuttlebone to try to promote shedding.

When was the last time your turtle ate?
Today. She's eating fine.

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?

Is the tank near a window?
Yes

Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity?
Its in a 1 room apartment but not super active.

Have you read the Basic Care section?
yes

Have you searched the forums for similar situations?
yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms?
Shes been rumbling around the ATBA in the early mornings and at night.
gleser

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:13 pm   Re: Dark stuff under shutes, shes not shedding.

Not many western painted keepers here anymore, and I would say it does look unusual. I would keep a close eye on any other symptoms (is that area soft or sensitive) and maybe consult with a forum with more painted keepers and/or a good herp vet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:19 pm   Re: Dark stuff under shutes, shes not shedding.

steve wrote:Not many western painted keepers here anymore, and I would say it does look unusual. I would keep a close eye on any other symptoms (is that area soft or sensitive) and maybe consult with a forum with more painted keepers and/or a good herp vet.

Thanks for the reply.
The area doesn't feel soft to me and i don't think its sensitive. I realize that this is a forum for RES but this is the only turtle forum I've found thats actually active. Do you know of any painted turtle forums?
gleser

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:20 am   Re: Dark stuff under shutes, shes not shedding.

www.turtleforum.com and www.tortoiseforum.org are still active...hopefully they can give you some peace of mind.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:34 pm   Re: Dark stuff under shutes, shes not shedding.

steve wrote:http://www.turtleforum.com and http://www.tortoiseforum.org are still active...hopefully they can give you some peace of mind.

Thank you! I made a post on turtleforum aswell, hoping ill get some tips soon.

If anyone here has any idea or tips on here i'd love an answer!
gleser

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:24 pm   Re: Dark stuff under shutes, shes not shedding.

Looks like it could be melanism, but that only really happens with males and sliders, not western painteds.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care