General Care Discussion :: Oasis Turtle Dock-Lighting Position?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:10 pm   Oasis Turtle Dock-Lighting Position?

Hello! I recently got Shelldon Kooper A new Oasis Turtle Ramp (Large). She loves it. Its perfect for her. It doesn't sink, she can't bite it, and it fits Shelldon and the tank perfectly.

Just a quick question. I currently have the lamps positioned in a different way than usual. In the past, the two lamps would be side-by side on the same dock. The ramp is shaped like a U. There is the entrance part in the water, then the middle attachment part (Like the bottom of the U, where the suction cups are attached) and then the upper ledge. I currently have the basking heat lamp positioned above the attachment part, and the UVB lamp above the upper ledge. Essentially the lamps are still next to each other but the rays are hitting different areas. I noticed that Shelldon was fully basking underneath the attachment part under the heat lamp, but I didn't see her go to the upper ledge under the UVB lamp (Although granted today was her first day with the new ramp). Would you recommend that I move the UVB lamp so that it points next to the heat lamp area (At the same attachment ledge)? I figured Shelldon might appreciate having a choice of which type of rays she would like (If she wants heat vs if she wants UVB). What do you think?

What is the water temperature? 78 Degrees F
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? Yes
How much water is in there? About 23.3 Gallons
Current Tank: 40 Gallon Tank
Tank Width: 17 In. W

Total Tank Depth: Around 17 In.H

Water Depth: 10 In. (Add 4 In. to Carapace Length)

Length: About 48 In L

Are you using a water conditioner? Yes
Are you using any filtration? Yes

What is the basking temperature? 88.2 Degrees F
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Oasis Turtle Dock (Large)
Is there a UVB light? Yes

What have you been trying to feed it? Vegetables and Pellets
When was the last time your turtle ate? This afternoon

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?
Is the tank near a window? No
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? No

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No
Gerstein

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:12 am   Re: Oasis Turtle Dock-Lighting Position?

Sounds like a nice home for Sheldon. Best advice being all lights and fixtures are a little different is to read the instructions in /on there box. It gives best placement for them. You don't want to give Sheldon a sunburn or hurt his eyes. Temperature is good , I had several thermometers all with different readings so I went to an IR type. Very accurate !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:35 am   Re: Oasis Turtle Dock-Lighting Position?

Can she fully dry off on the lower ledge?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:16 pm   Re: Oasis Turtle Dock-Lighting Position?

When you say lower ledge, I take it you mean the middle part of the ramp, (The Bottom of the U shape where the suction cups are attached)? Yes Shelldon can completely dry off there.

I moved the lamps.

So The entrance of the ramp is where Shelldon goes up. Since it is partly submerged in water, Shelldon cannot fully dry off there, but she does like to hang out there to rest while being in the water. I think she also gets some UVB light there, since the UVB lamp is at the beginning of the middle section, and near the end of the entrance.

The middle part of the ramp (the lower ledge) has the UVB lamp at the beginning of the middle section, and the heat lamp in the middle of the section. Shelldon can fully dry off here, and obtain her UVB and heat. Shelldon has done so consistently from around 11 AM- 1 PM for the past week or so. I measured the temperature of the ramp and it is a neat 85.6 degrees F.

The top portion (upper ledge) is where Shelldon will stretch to sometimes underneath the heat lamp at an angle.

I was worried about the lamp situation and to where to move them best. I was unsure if Shelldon was getting her UVB light, which is why I posted this topic. I decided to experiment and see how Shelldon would like it if I moved the lamps to the arrangement described above. I think Shelldon has been really drying off well and getting her heat/UVB using this arrangement.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 pm   Re: Oasis Turtle Dock-Lighting Position?

Yes, the middle of the ledge. Sounds like you hit the sweet spot. When possible, try to have the UVB lamp pointed straight down. I don't think the UVB attracts them at all and it's the warmth they seek out.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion