Urgent Care :: My turtle is sick, please help?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:11 pm   My turtle is sick, please help?

I've had my turtle sarah(even though she's a male) for nearly 15 years, I was 3 when I got her.. She was always healthy and never shown any signs of being sick or anything of the sort. But this year, during june I had to leave town to study basically and I had to leave Sarah with my parents(they tried their best I guess)... But when I came back a few days ago I realised that she wasn't doing that well, my parents even took her to the wet in august. So what has been happening to her, well what my parents told me:
-one month after I left home, she got swelling around her legs and her neck area, so they took her to the wet and that got taken care of I guess...
-her shell was really healthy when I left her and now it's really pale and has some brown stuff kinda growing on the edges(how much things can change in a few months)
-also her shell seems to be sheddings, which is nothing unusal I've seen it happen multiple times, but how it just looks kinda weird with the paleness of her shell.

I'll be posting images of her current state with imgur I guess, just a few mins. Thanks you <3
ashoran

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:47 pm   Re: My turtle is sick, please help?

Some pictures will help, but it sounds like some fungus has taken hold. Did she get a different tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:18 am   Re: My turtle is sick, please help?

steve wrote:Some pictures will help, but it sounds like some fungus has taken hold. Did she get a different tank?

https://i.imgur.com/XbYrM7k.jpg
ashoran

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:20 am   Re: My turtle is sick, please help?

They had to get her in a smaller one actually, so yeah a new tank :/
ashoran

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:11 am   Re: My turtle is sick, please help?

Much better than what I was expecting... it looks mostly like some initial shedding and algae. I'd do a gently cleaning and examine the edges around the scutes.

He looks great for 15!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:20 am   Re: My turtle is sick, please help?

steve wrote:Much better than what I was expecting... it looks mostly like some initial shedding and algae. I'd do a gently cleaning and examine the edges around the scutes.

He looks great for 15!

oh thank god, I was really scared :) Thanks for your help, I'll just try to fix the algae issue somehow hehe, never had to deal with it before :) but again, THANK YOU!
ashoran

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:36 pm   Re: My turtle is sick, please help?

No problem, feel free to ask any additional questions.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care