Urgent Care :: Bone exposed on top of skull.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:13 am   Bone exposed on top of skull.

Ladies and gents,

Could use some advice from those who are familiar with this sort of thing. My res has a sharp notch of shell behind her head and she recently (mid Jan) fell off the couch and poked a hole through her skin. I left the US for Australia shortly after this happened and had my son take care of the pond while I was away. I returned today to find the size has doubled, likely a result of poor water quality. I have pulled the turtles (2) out of the pond (300g stock tank) so I can relocate the tank and setup a system to automatically circulate new water in and old out, so water quality is never a factor.

Until then I have given them their own bedroom in the house (10x8') where they can safely roam. It's off the living room and a baby gate is up, they are not isolated with the door closed. This particular turtle has always been extremely comfortable around my family, she allowed me to touch the spot which is how I verified it was none rather than rot. It doesn't 'seem' painful yet it's very worrying. Tonight I cleaned her up and swabbed with betadine, the massaged in some aquaphor as I didn't have any neosporin on hand. My question here is will this heal? Regrowing skin across a patch of bone is really new to me, please let me know if self care is not sufficient here.

Thanks!

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q392 ... 53sifs.jpg
thederrickm

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:26 pm   Re: Bone exposed on top of skull.

It should heal, but I can't tell the extent of the damage from the photo. I would also keep the turtles separate, so you can better chart her progress.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:19 am   Re: Bone exposed on top of skull.

Thank you so much, I will do that. Should things not improve I will seek a qualified vet.
thederrickm

Return to Urgent Care