Urgent Care :: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:45 pm   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

Hi Steve,

I think it isn't the penis anymore. As I said, I never saw him putting it out. He's 11 years old. Same thing for his brother. Simply, I never saw it.

Some updates: Two days ago the bleeding much lesser. Yesterday, back to the usual. Today, less again. Tomorrow will be more. You know how I know this?

Because I changed his feeding habits. For th days that was less bleeding, I simply didn't gave him the same amount of food, but less. The normal days he ate normally during the day and in the previous night.

Today in the morning he was in a totally clean tank and I could see some poo, very soft, in small portions/balls, not forming normal poo. I think I might have lost some of his poo in the previous week because it does look like the pieces of pellets I usually find in his tank when I try to find him with that. He bites them, eventually, but not eating. So, the pieces goes to the bottom of the tank. So his feces. Very similar, but a little bit harder... So, yes, I might have lost some.

So I think it's something on his digestive system. He still wants to eat, not the pellets, but anything else. But when he does, he bleed more and this only happens at night when he relax enough.

My mother wasn't letting them too much time on the tank, because we had only one for one month or so; this was before I came here. Now they have three big tanks, since basically my second day here. So he is spending more time in water, without the others. I think the coagulated blood could be a result of less water time, less poo-events, so it concentrated. Can't say, but it could be.

So, it's not in the bladder or urine or something; he doesn't eat something hard (x-ray is clean); nothing in the lungs; never saw the penis can't confirm that; changing eating habits changes the bleeding.

Tomorrow he will spend more time out the water, with the others, so he won't be as active as usual. He usually stand still, following the female everywhere, and taking sun baths. I'll do this to test the relation between bleeding and muscular activity - because that's the last variable, I guess. It could be something like less activity = less bleeding. Or less food = less bleeding.

I'll try this out and call the vet tomorrow. After this last experiment I guess I have nothing else to do, and I'll have to trust these local vets, who seems to know less about turtles than I do.

What do you think?

If it's the digestive tract... could be a bacteria? an infection? The only thing that don't connects is the fact that the first bleeding was right after he felt, inside the tank, while trying to escape the tank. I found him with the belly up, and a small bleeding. That's the first event.

So maybe a mechanical impact? But strong enough to cause internal damage? I hardly think so...

About penises... Why I never saw one of them putting it out?

Sorry for my broken English and multiple questions. I'm writing this in a hurry. Thanks!
guidoti

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:32 pm   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

Has he been eating a lot less?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:45 pm   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

He's not eating the normal food (pellets). But if I offer something that I know he loves, like actual shrimps, he will eat a lot.

Also, he already did a treatment with antibiotics after the first vet visit...
guidoti

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:28 pm   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

HE POOPED! HE POOPED!

Never thought I would be so happy to see poo. Three big poos. I collected them all and I'll have it analyzed tomorrow in a vet clinic. I think there are some blood spots on it, but it was the first time since 2 weeks that I see this..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
guidoti

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:23 pm   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

Great news, I bet you are both very relived :D
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:14 pm   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

Ok, updates.

I still didn't take his poo to the lab.

But on the night of Feb 14, LOTS of poo, no bleeding. Poo with some weird red dots;
    on the day of Feb 15, LOTS of poo, no bleeding. Poo with some weird red dots;
    on the night of Feb 15, 3h in the water and in the dark (the situation where the bleeding always happened), no poo, no bleeding;
    on the day of Feb 16, more poo, in more pieces, not big masses. Less red dots, but the consistency still not what I would call 'normal', no bleeding;
    on the night of Feb 16, a single poo, bigger, a little bit lighter, no visible red dots. No bleeding.

He is still not interested in the normal food, which is the pellets.

What do you think? Also, what do you suggest to do to make him interested in his food again?

Thanks!
guidoti

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:40 am   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

Does he like live prey or tuna fish? There are a couple of things to try and it's great that he's willing to eat but don't over do it with the shrimp.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:12 pm   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

Hi Steve,

I never give to her living things...

Do you suggest anything else?

Thanks.
guidoti

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:27 am   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

Try small amounts of canned tuna fish (in water) or white chicken meat. I normally use it as a treat and in a feeding container.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:21 pm   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

Hi Steve!

Sorry for my long silence. Just wanted to say that my turtle is fully recovered! Since my last post, no more bleeding. And he started to eat and poop normally too!!!

Thanks for all the support. All three of them are in a really good shape now. The oldest one has some white spots on the shell, which I believe is lack of calcium because of our severe winter last year (less sunny days), but this summer he took lots and lots of sunbaths. The shell still has these white dots, but I think when he change the shell it's going to be ok again. I hope he does that this summer...

That's all!
guidoti

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:27 pm   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

That's great to hear! The white spots might be fungus. Are they all separated now?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:09 am   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

[q]uote="steve"]Is it possible he's fanning, then accidentally kicking/scratching himself there? I agree that this is a very weird situation, I think some of the coagulated blood is what's strangest.[/quote]

Hey Steve,

Sorry for never replying your last message in this thread. I still think of you and your kindness in helping me figure this out. The local vets couldn't do much.. I think there are not a single vet specialized in turtles where I live. But, my turtle survived!

He is still alive, strong as hell, never had the issue again and he's in perfect shape. Healthy as they can be. All three of them, in fact.

The only current problem is that he is biting the others, maybe to draw attention. I've another male and a female, and his daily joy is to go bother the other male. Not even bully, just bother, because when the other male engages, he is scared to death and start to walk backwards. Go figure. I've them in individual tanks to avoid problems because I noticed they are way more likely to bite each other under water for some reason.

Anyways, just a heads up and a thank you note. You really saved Lilica!
guidoti

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:09 pm   Re: Weird blood coming out of cloaca

Good to hear all good from your old post , fully recovered , with Steve's help.

Separation was the best move. Even turtles raised together can and will have problem down the road. That bothering will turn to aggression . Size of tank or pond for territory , different growth rates and test others , the different times each become sexual mature. Even there personality's matter. Two males will at those times stand off to each other then when you not watching will turn into aggression and a leg comes off in a fight. Male/female the male will just harass the girl for sex until she hurts him or worst. When I had a small in ground pond with 6 turtles it got rough. Not until I increased the size of pond so each had there own space did it get peaceful to a point. For me that was about 500 gallons for each to have there personal territory. Even then I still had to remove my two female’s for peace into a large stock tank. Then Katrina… Since Hurricane Katrina it’s only Piggley and me. Indoor stock tank.

Your separation of them was good for safety and your peace of mind !
litefoot

Previous

Return to Urgent Care