Urgent Care :: RES not eating and constipated?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:58 pm   RES not eating and constipated?

So my 11 year old RES has suddenly decided to stop eating when she used to eat like a pig. It's been at least 5 days since she really avidly ate (she'd only eat like 0-2 pellets when trying to feed her while refusing veggies all together. She started rejecting the lettuce about last week but still ate pellets, but now outright refuses everything ). On top of that, I haven't seen her pass stools since then either as normally, I will see her poops along the bottom. Just this morning, I caught seeming like she's trying to poop but nothing will come out, so I soaked her in a bath of warm water and a tiny bit of poop did come out.

Water parameters and temperatures have not changed at all since this started happening (78-79 water temp, 87-89 basking temp in a 90 gallon tank) Beyond that, she acts normally with no signs of lethargy or abnormal behavior.

Anyone know if this is a sign of impaction, constipation, or anything and what would be the best way to approach it?
------------------------------------------------
How big is your turtle? 8 1/4"
How long have you had it? 11 years

What is the water temperature? 78-80 F
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? Yes
How much water is in there? Roughly 70 Gallons
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes (Repti Safe)
Are you using any filtration? Yes

What is the basking temperature? 87-90 F
Is there a basking light? Yes (Exo Terra Swamp Glo 100W Bulb
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Basking platform made out of eggcrate and PVC pipes
Is there a UVB light? Yes (Repti Sun 5.0)

What have you been trying to feed it? ReptoMin floating sticks, Hikari Wheat Germ pellets, Red Leaf Lettuce, Green Leaf Lettuce, Romaine Lettuce, Carrot, Feeder Guppies (breeding colony in same aquarium), Dried River Shrimp
When was the last time your turtle ate? 5 Days ago avidly (ReptoMin)

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 90 Gallons
Is the tank near a window? Yes
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Moderate activity

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms?
MrPiddles

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:19 am   Re: RES not eating and constipated?

No interest in live prey? Has it become seasonally cooler where you are?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:56 am   Re: RES not eating and constipated?

steve wrote:No interest in live prey? Has it become seasonally cooler where you are?

It's the middle of winter however it's been a very mild winter this year (where it would normally be between the high 10s to low 30s Fahrenheit, it's been a constant 40-50 range with scattered days reach the low 30s ) Normally around winter, her appetite does not as drastically as this, especially when a few days ago, she was eating just as normally as she always was.
MrPiddles

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:17 am   Re: RES not eating and constipated?

Could be she's just bored of the routine. Maybe try some different food? Without other symptoms, it's hard to know if there is anything wrong.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care