Habitat - Indoor :: Best filter

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:23 pm   Best filter

I have a zoo med 511 canister filter which is rated for 60 gallons. As of now i have a 40 gallon tank with almost 25 gallons of water . I will be moving my 2 turtles to a 100 gallon tank in a few months . My question is, is the filter i jave sufficient for now . I read that the filter should be 3x athe amount of water,so that means i need a 75 or better filter if i understand that right.
Paulie494

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:24 pm   Re: Best filter

And if not what is the best filter i should get even when i have 60 gallons in the 100 gallon tank soon . Thanks
Paulie494

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:34 am   Re: Best filter

With 2 turtles, I would definitely get the FX6 filter. I wouldn't use it in the 40 gallon, but it'll be fine in the 100.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:36 am   Re: Best filter

Thanks steve . I am moving into my new house in july and thats when i will hook up the 100 gallon tank . Gonna have a custome stand made for it .
Paulie494

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:12 am   Re: Best filter

Paulie Hi !

Just setup my FX6 last week , it's great! Not sure why it took me so long to get , mostly been a DiY guy. I have 150 gallon horse tub in living room and the running noise is very low not more than any other system I had. Only when it purges it could wake the dead. I played with the outlet line and was able to quiet the purge sound to a reasonable level. Really it's pretty quiet now , I love this filter ! If you want see some post I have under equipment review may give you some ideas ? At first I just put outlet where I always did and was not happy , very loud at purge. Try playing with it by hand and you will see the difference I'm talking about. ( with and without diffuser / in and out water) You can achieve the affect you want/need. Good luck in your new house come July and the 100 gallon setup.
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor