Habitat - Indoor :: Filter cycling

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:55 pm   Filter cycling

Question i was wondering how often you all do a full cleaning. I did a full cleaning of tank about a month ago and my water is still cloudy . The other day i did a 1/3 water change. I was told my water is cloudy because it takes about 6 weeks for my filter to fully cycle . So my question is how do i keep my water clear if i do a full clean every 2 months ?
Paulie494

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:04 pm   Re: Filter cycling

You don't have to do the filter cleaning with water changes. If you have a large tank and regularly do partial changes, you don't have to a full water change. If you have a small tank, then I might do it often. Filter cleanings don't have to be done on a strict schedule, but I try to do it every 4-8 weeks, depending on the weather.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:58 pm   Re: Filter cycling

Thanks Steve ... I read in a post from last year about people hooking up a water filter to there sink so when they do a water change it cleans the tap water . What's your take on that
Paulie494

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:21 am   Re: Filter cycling

It's fine and economical. One thing to consider is the temperature change though. Ideally its better to use cold tap, so you need to allow the water to warm up to your preferred temperature range.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor