Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Newbie here!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:44 pm   Newbie here!

Hi my name is Adam and I acquired 2 hatching RES from when I was on vacation in South Carolina. I did my research on RES after getting them and did not know all the work/money they require! I managed to build them a suitable habitat out of a 40gal breeder tank (planning on upgrading to 125gal within the year). Looking to house some fish eventually as well.

Here's my two little guys. Squirtle (pokemon fan) and Myrtle (purchased them while on vacation in Myrtle Beach) I captioned this *Suns out, buns out*. :D

This is an outdated picture of my setup. A few things have changed.
1. I ******* hate that ridiculous Tetrafauna rock filter. Thing did absolutely nothing! Figured out right away it was a scam and purchased a SunSun 304B which I love and keeps the tank sparkling clean.
2. I raised the water level much higher and have about 34gal in total giving my turtles more room to swim and making sure the basking dock isn't too high to the point where they can escape.
3. I have also moved the bigger UVB lighting more over the basking dock so my RES can receive more beneficial vitamins.
4. I now also have stand for my tank as it is not housed on the ground anymore.

Been using Reddit and some other credible sources when learning about habitat/diet and overall maintenance. Then I found about this site and figured I would give it a go as I have already found some incredibly helpful posts and topics.

Thanks for the warm welcome and hope to speak to all you turtle lovers in the future!
Adamsv7

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:31 am   Re: Newbie here!

Welcome to the site! Looks pretty good, much better than when I started. I would wait until you can sex your turtles before upgrading the tank. Knowing their genders will help you plan ahead. Females will get larger, males will probably need separation and once you know, you can get that one last tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:24 pm   Re: Newbie here!

steve wrote:Welcome to the site! Looks pretty good, much better than when I started. I would wait until you can sex your turtles before upgrading the tank. Knowing their genders will help you plan ahead. Females will get larger, males will probably need separation and once you know, you can get that one last tank.
Great thought didn't think about that. At what age about would I be able to tell the sex and how exactly do they differ? :?
Adamsv7

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:48 pm   Re: Newbie here!

You should be able to tell when the shell is close to 4" in length, sometimes sooner because male characteristics start to show up.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.