Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi new here

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:29 am   Re: Hi new here

It's not too bad, just correct the diet/protein amount and it'll be fine. I thought there was a basking lamp? Is the hood using tubes or regular bulbs?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:22 pm   Re: Hi new here

The hood uses the screw in bulbs rather than the strip type lights. The bulbs I have on there now are the reptisun 5.0 bulbs. But you said the basking area should be 10 degrees higher than the water but it's not, the basking area only stays right around 80-82 and the water is at 78 so it's not really much different we were going to get a lamp to help heat the area more and hopefully get him basking a lot more.
Will changing how he eats really make all of the shell issues better? I know he needs to bask more than he actually does so if I get him eating right and basking right everything will fix itself?
GumbosMom

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:41 pm   Re: Hi new here

The seams become part of the scutes, so they will get greener/browner as the fill in. When it's thick like that, it's a sign that he's growing fairly fast and that is usually not a good thing. Since he's young and we're correcting it early, his shell should be perfectly fine.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:17 pm   Re: Hi new here

What about the other bit of his shell that you said looks like fungus? What do I do for that?
GumbosMom

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:06 am   Re: Hi new here

Would you be able to get some silver sulfadiazine cream? That usually works the quickest.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:18 am   Re: Hi new here

I've never heard of that before. Where can I find it? Is it something I can just go to the store and get or do I need to go to a vet? Once I've gotten it how do I use it? If I can't get it what else can I do? Or what can I do until I can get it? Sorry for all of the questions
GumbosMom

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:05 am   Re: Hi new here

In the US and most other places, you need a prescription. It's common enough that if you know of a vet you can get some, or even find some online.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.