Feeding and Nutrition :: Commercial RES food.

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:31 pm   Commercial RES food.

Where can I buy some good turtle food for basic feedings. We are feeding veggies and greens .
Also what is a good place to buy turtle stuff. Lights, heat lamps just stuff. Petsmart and Petco kinda scare me.
I've been in the tropical fish hobby for many years I know all the good places to buy that stuff but turtles I have know Idea.
DavidG

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:16 am   Re: Commercial RES food.

If you want Mazuri, you can buy it directly from their site. Omega One can be found at most pet stores and online as well. The tropical fish stores I've been to usually carry some turtle stuff, but I guess it varies.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:26 am   Re: Commercial RES food.

There are many fewer reptile keepers compared to people that keep fish, so there are many fewer vendors for things like heat lamps and uvb bulbs. When it comes to turtles as opposed to reptiles, that number gets even smaller.

That means that a well supplied Petsmart or Petco has most of what you could find anywhere. Steve mentioned two reputable food brands. I primarily use Omega One and supplement with Mazuri wheat pellets and Hikari turtle sticks, as well as fresh veggies.

For uvb and heat, I'd stay away from store brands, but the national brands you'll find at the big chains are almost all you'll find. I use a MegaRay for uvb/heat, which has a good reputation online.

For basking platforms, nothing commercial is worth anything for an adult turtle. You need to build your own.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:57 am   Re: Commercial RES food.

I bought most of my turtle supplies online. Ebay or Amazon are good starting points. You will find they are far less expensive than petco etc.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:36 pm   Re: Commercial RES food.

Thank you for the info. I was shopping online just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something . Thanks again.
DavidG

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:48 pm   Re: Commercial RES food.

No problem.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Feeding and Nutrition