Habitat - Indoor :: Franklin has met his Match

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 am   Franklin has met his Match

Well I could not find a plant that could keep up with my turtle's appetite. He ate his way through everything including duckweed. Well he met his match in Water Hyacinth. It grows so fast I'm going to have to start culling plants. It's the perfect Red Eared Slider plant!
Attachments
IMG_1374.JPG
kiwi

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:55 am   Re: Franklin has met his Match

Awesome, I will definitely give it a try this summer!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:04 pm   Re: Franklin has met his Match

Steve,
A bonus is that when it blooms it produces a beautiful purple flower.
kiwi

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:30 am   Re: Franklin has met his Match

Sounds good, I think I'll try to gather some ideas :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:45 pm   Re: Franklin has met his Match

Awesome I was just looking at some today but I wasn't sure if it would be turtle friendly - Snakers eats darn near everything I put in there LOL
Nie

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:02 pm   Re: Franklin has met his Match

Nie wrote:Awesome I was just looking at some today but I wasn't sure if it would be turtle friendly - Snakers eats darn near everything I put in there LOL

Bah unfortunately this won't be an option for us as it is banned in my state...as is water lettuce....struggling to find something that propagates decently during the vicious turtle attacks :lol:
Nie

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:16 pm   Re: Franklin has met his Match

Nie wrote:
Nie wrote:Awesome I was just looking at some today but I wasn't sure if it would be turtle friendly - Snakers eats darn near everything I put in there LOL

Bah unfortunately this won't be an option for us as it is banned in my state...as is water lettuce....struggling to find something that propagates decently during the vicious turtle attacks :lol:

Nie,
It's banned in my state also even though it exists in the wild in my state. Anyway just go on eBay and find a good producer that will ship it to you. I'm very careful and when I cull my plants every week I boil them before placing them in the trash. This is the only plant he can't destroy! The photo shows how much of this plant I dispose of every week!
Attachments
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1405.JPG (57.12 KiB) Viewed 6208 times
kiwi

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:42 am   Re: Franklin has met his Match

Do live plants make the water dirty any faster? Right now Amazon has this plant (3-5") for $13 w/ shipping. I really would like to try this to replace my plastic duckweed w/ this. All the other artificial plants I put in are eaten so I stopped using them. Thanks
Bridget Mattox
BridgetFM

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:26 am   Re: Franklin has met his Match

I don't see how it will dirty the water unless your turtle decides to shred it. Amazon doesn't have the best prices on these, you might want to shop around.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor