Habitat - Indoor :: Is my turtle gonna be okay?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:28 pm   Re: Is my turtle gonna be okay?

I have one more annoying question for you.
My turtle have been doing a 'twitch' thing daily for 3 days now.She only does it while basking around 10am to 1 pm. She'll move her head to a different direction hold it there for a few seconds and move it again. On the first day it lasted 5 mins at the very most(I was so scared I closed my eyes :( ). But each day it gets shorter. Today she only moved her head 3-4 times(only lasted 30secs). I think she's doing it on purpose because she stops if I sit next to the tank and look at her. My mom thinks her back is itchy because she's shedding her scoots, and thinks shelby's reaching to try and pull them off. After she's done she always goes into the water and doesn't bask for a while. I'm less worried because today it only lasted 30secs :|
Nerdycatgamer

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:45 pm   Re: Is my turtle gonna be okay?

I think a little stretching/twitching is normal but it shouldn't be for a long time. Do you happen to have a video of it?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:00 pm   Re: Is my turtle gonna be okay?

steve wrote:I think a little stretching/twitching is normal but it shouldn't be for a long time. Do you happen to have a video of it?

no, I don't have a video. Only the first time was long. Everyday it get shorter and shorter. The thing that I thought was weird was how it happened around the same time everyday. But she does bask at the same time everyday so that explains it.
Nerdycatgamer

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:39 am   Re: Is my turtle gonna be okay?

Sounds like it's just part of the routine, so I wouldn't worry about it :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:39 am   Re: Is my turtle gonna be okay?

steve wrote:Sounds like it's just part of the routine, so I wouldn't worry about it :)

Yeah. I'm so silly every 2 days I get a new thing to worry about :oops: Even at his young age my turtle has more male characteristics so we're going back to the original name we had for him when we first got him, Shelldon :mrgreen:
I'm really happy it's a boy though because now I don't need to stress about eggs :D
Nerdycatgamer

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:41 pm   Re: Is my turtle gonna be okay?

OMG!!!! Sheldon Pushed his wiener out and sucked it back up! :lol: :lol: :lol: Guess I know the gender 100% now :mrgreen:
Nerdycatgamer

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:56 am   Re: Is my turtle gonna be okay?

Yup, that's called "fanning". Pretty normal with young male RES, you're fine as long as it goes back in. :lol:
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:21 am   Re: Is my turtle gonna be okay?

steve wrote:Yup, that's called "fanning". Pretty normal with young male RES, you're fine as long as it goes back in. :lol:

Yeah i've heard of it before. It's so funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nerdycatgamer

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:36 pm   Re: Is my turtle gonna be okay?

I'm not so worried about the twitch now because my mom looked it up and a vet said that it's like when your leg falls asleep so you shake it. And he stops 'twitching' when we get close so it must be on purpose. So it isn't really a 'twitch' more like a shake. And alot of turtles do it when they get a new tank.
Nerdycatgamer

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor