Feeding and Nutrition :: Overfeeding

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:38 pm   Overfeeding

Hello! I am new to this forum and like the site so I'm looking forward to learning more about our RES. I've had an RES before, but he somehow got sick or wasn't getting the right nutrition; he passed about 6 years ago.

I now have a RES and got him in November; the store estimated him at about 6 months old and is about 5-6" long (which based on what I'm reading, his tail seems longer and may be a male; if not we have a female named Crush :D ). Crush has a 55 gallon tank that we fill about half way; has a filter, water heater, floating basking rock, UVB lamp (this one is on 24/7).

Over the last few weeks, seems like he would go through a few days of wanting more food, then not eating as much. I thought maybe it was growth spurt, but now since reading some info on this site, we might be overfeeding him; the last few days he gets overly excited when we wake up and some times throughout the day. We use round pellets bought from Petco and the last week we've also been giving sun-dried shrimp as a treat. I've seen some posts on the good/bad foods to give him, but still wonder what is actually good (I want to give a variety, but also don't want to have 6 different veggies on hand if we know he likes one or two of them). He is swimming fine and is under his basking lamp every day, nearly all day from when we turn the light on to when we turn it off.

From now on, we will maintain the daily pellets (does this mean once a day?) and shrimp as a treat, but I would like to start adding the veggies/fruits/protein to his diet as well.
wroblewski05

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:37 pm   Re: Overfeeding

Hi, you're saying you think he is less than 1 year old and at 5-6" long? What brand pellets are you using?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:37 pm   Re: Overfeeding

We use Zoo Med pellets and Reptotreat for shrimp.
wroblewski05

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:22 am   Re: Overfeeding

5-6" is huge for a RES under a year old. And 6" is pushing the size of a male, so it's more likely a female. RES are expert beggars, so its likely you need to drastically cut down on the pellets and treats/

Yes, you can use pellets daily, just proportionally cut down on how much you use.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:02 pm   Re: Overfeeding

Ok, thanks! Do you think we should supplement with any other foods? With its size, should we try cutting back to every other day or just continue once a day?
wroblewski05

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:20 pm   Re: Overfeeding

Yes, your turtle should be getting mostly veggies by now. You can still feed once a day, just be more aware of how much you're using.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:54 pm   Re: Overfeeding

Ok, thanks for your help! Even though it seems to like the shrimp, should we transition to all pellets/veggies? I think I saw a list of approved veggies from someone else's post or the Nutrition page of the site that I will reference.
wroblewski05

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:23 pm   Re: Overfeeding

How big was he when you got him in November? I'm thinking the store's estimate was wrong.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:57 pm   Re: Overfeeding

I'm thinking it was 3-4" because we bought the pellets for a 2-6" size turtle
wroblewski05

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 am   Re: Overfeeding

Pellet size usually doesn't matter too much, just focus on the quantity and variety. I pretty much just use red leaf lettuce as their main veggie.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:36 am   Re: Overfeeding

Ok, thanks! We will continue with pellets and get started on veggies.
wroblewski05

Return to Feeding and Nutrition