General Care Discussion :: 2017 New Year's Resolutions - Turtle Edition!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:19 am   2017 New Year's Resolutions - Turtle Edition!

Happy 2017, everyone!

I thought it would be fun to share up-and-coming plans, wish list items, and other things you'd like to improve for your terrapins and/or tortoises this new calendar year. And also maybe some things you learned/projects you did in 2016 relating to them.

For 2017:
*The big one I have is to upgrade my 40 gallon breeder for my 17 year old Western Painted to a 70 gallon. It'll involve a lot of money and work (especially redoing the above-tank basking area and moving to a more powerful filter... probably another Eheim Classic... I have a Classic 350/Eheim 2215 at present), but I'd like to have that done early this spring after I finish my undergraduate program in May and thus will have a lot more money coming in.

*I'm also continuing to search for more information on my 3 year old African Sideneck, more specifically Pelomedusa variabilis. There's not a lot of literature easily available on them, and so I will have to do more digging.

*Non-turtle-related, but I am also hoping for better/continued health for my two kitties. I have a 10 year old who was in diabetic remission for two years before relapsing after switching diets to combat early kidney disease (back to twice-daily insulin injections for him, blegh). I don't know how to fight diabetes and kidney disease at once, as treatment options for one makes the other worse and vice versa. Our other kitty is 13 and we rescued her this November after many years with an abusive owner. After a haircut (she had terrible mats), lots of dental work, and some arthritis medication and joint supplements she is like a new cat! Hopefully we will have many more happy, healthy years with them both.

From 2016:
*The bulk of my work with my African Sideneck was in 2016 (I adopted her in November of 2015), and so I've learned a tremendous amount in the last 12 months about caring for them. I'm always looking to learn more and improve their quality of life in my care. I also learned how expensive feline dental care is, especially when you're extracting 14 teeth. :cry:

Looking forward to hearing some good stories and info!

Take care!
-Derek
turtlenojutsu

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:22 pm   Re: 2017 New Year's Resolutions - Turtle Edition!

Great idea!

For 2017:
*More variety in aquatic veggies, setting up an outdoor planted tank for the summer.

*Tackle any remaining fungal infections aggressively.

*Update forum software to latest release

*Update main site to current web standards

Wish me luck and Happy New Year!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:54 am   Re: 2017 New Year's Resolutions - Turtle Edition!

Good ones, Steve!

I should add "better diet" to mine off of your aquatic veggies one. I primarily feed both of my turtles Mazuri and Fluker's Buffet Blend, although I was buying Omega One sticks for a while. My Painted Turtle also loves Zoo Med's calcium blocks. I may be overfeeding a bit though, as he still has some slight curling issues... although, it hasn't gotten any worse. I've never deviated much from store-bought pellets though in any case.

Let me know if you ever need any help with the site! I'm an IT guy by trade.
turtlenojutsu

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:41 pm   Re: 2017 New Year's Resolutions - Turtle Edition!

Thanks for your offer, it's very much appreciated!

I've bought too much Mazuri, so that will probably be a staple for awhile. I do grab a bunch with me on bike rides and feed some pond sliders when I see them. Is what you're using the Aquatic Turtle Banquet Block?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:44 am   Re: 2017 New Year's Resolutions - Turtle Edition!

I've had good luck with Mazuri and have heard good things about it from others as well.

Yeah, that's it! The Banquet Blocks are what I give my Western Painted. Only bummer is when he forgets about it and it gets buried in the sand... starts to let off a nasty smell if it just sits uneaten.
turtlenojutsu

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:57 am   Re: 2017 New Year's Resolutions - Turtle Edition!

Want to add a suggestion (from kiwi):

*Weekly or monthly weight/size measurements.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:24 pm   Re: 2017 New Year's Resolutions - Turtle Edition!

Do you have young/growing turtles in your care?
turtlenojutsu

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:08 am   Re: 2017 New Year's Resolutions - Turtle Edition!

Nope, they're teenagers. So my info won't be of great help to others, it'll just be for my own reference.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion