General Care Discussion :: Cloudy and smelly tank

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:19 am   Cloudy and smelly tank

Okay so I have had my RES for about 5 months and this is my first encounter of this problem. I emptied the tank (as I have done numerous times in the past few months) and refilled it on Monday. When I woke up on Wednesday Koopa's tank was cloudy. Now today is smelly too. I realize now I shouldn't have cleaned the filter media as I did, and probably have a bacteria blossom going. Koopa's tank is close to a window and when the water was changed, it just so happened to be super sunny the next day so I am guessing that aided in the issue.That being said, I went and picked up a top fin bacteria supplement and added it to the tank today. So far there has been no change, so I am looking for suggestions on what to do. Should I empty the tank again and start over or let it cycle? Is there something else I should be adding to the tank? Is tetra safe start better than top fin? I feel terrible I messed up Koopa's digs!
Heather

1 RES approx 18 Koopa
1 goldendoodle Brighton
1 labradoodle Remington
Skippy204

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:23 am   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

Sounds like cycling / new tank syndrome, which is normal. What kind of filter media do you have and what kind of filter? I would skip the supplement and do partial water changes.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:00 pm   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

I have a Sunsun hw302 that has carbon, ceramic rings and bio balls inside it.how much of the water should I change? Should I do that every day? For how long?
Heather

1 RES approx 18 Koopa
1 goldendoodle Brighton
1 labradoodle Remington
Skippy204

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:32 pm   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

I'd change a 1/4 every day or two until it's sorted out. Did you add new carbon into the filter?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:00 pm   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

No I didn't, I just rinsed it off when I cleaned the filter. The new carbon is on order. Rookie mistakes!
Heather

1 RES approx 18 Koopa
1 goldendoodle Brighton
1 labradoodle Remington
Skippy204

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:34 pm   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

That's OK, we all make 'em :)

Buy it in bulk and get a couple of bags. Fill your own during filter cleanings and it'll last you a very long time.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:24 pm   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

How often do you change yours?
Heather

1 RES approx 18 Koopa
1 goldendoodle Brighton
1 labradoodle Remington
Skippy204

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:07 am   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

Depends, but about it averages to every 6 weeks-8 weeks.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 pm   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

Okay so I went today and got the bag and filled it with the new carbon and did another water change. The water is a little less cloudy with the change but not as much as I would like. koopa didn't eat today but she may just be being picky because I didn't feed her her favorite food. I made sure I took out whatever she didn't eat within a half hour today just go not aide in the cloudiness.
Heather

1 RES approx 18 Koopa
1 goldendoodle Brighton
1 labradoodle Remington
Skippy204

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:31 am   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

How bad was all the cloudiness to begin with? Did you change all of the water?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:00 am   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

It was cloudy to the point it was hard to see her in the water. I did a 25% water change on Friday and then yesterday did closer to 70% because she decided to go crazy over night and detached the filter and created quite a mess. I had to drain so much to reaattach everything and to retrieve everything. I don't know what got into her. Anyway, today it's less cloudy but still has a tint to it, she didn't eat today again and is hanging out at the bottom of the tank a lot, I don't know what her deal is.
Heather

1 RES approx 18 Koopa
1 goldendoodle Brighton
1 labradoodle Remington
Skippy204

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:10 pm   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

I'd just give it a little more time, but it sounds like the problems should be over soon.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:30 pm   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

Okay good. I was hoping it was going to go away in one day lol no patience. Also, I'm noticing she's spending an awful lot of time at the bottom of the tank. I got her to eat very little today but at least some. Her water is the same temp as it has been so I don't know what is going on with her. Do they act funny in the winter? Maybe she is sensing it's winter in northeast PA. I've only had her since I was given her in July so I don't know what she normally behaves like this time of year.
Heather

1 RES approx 18 Koopa
1 goldendoodle Brighton
1 labradoodle Remington
Skippy204

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:38 am   Re: Cloudy and smelly tank

There are a few RES that do seem to be more picky during the winter, including my male. Even though nothing changes indoors, they do sense these things.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion