Habitat - Indoor :: New RES owner need advice .....

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:57 am   New RES owner need advice .....

Hello everyone . I bought a RES on sat and put him in a 40 gallon turtle tank set up from pets mart . Came with the 511 turtle clean canister filter and aquatic turtle uvb and heat light combo deep dome lighting kit . I also put about 20 feeder guppies in as per reptile place told me that is good . Well my turtle never goes on the basking lamp and he won't eat , matter affect he is not really active and stays under the basking platform and barely moves around . He has only been in tank for 2 days should I be concerned . I also have water heater so temp stays at 76 degrees . Any advice would be greatly appreciated .
Paulie494

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:01 pm   Re: New RES owner need advice .....

How big is he? Can you warm up the water for now? What's the setup look like? If possible, I'd return the turtle kit.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:30 pm   Re: New RES owner need advice .....

I just got a thermostat for the water and its[url][/url] reading 78 degrees . I am trying to figure out how to post pictures . Turtle is about 2 inches . I can't return it because i bought it new from someone but its sold a petsmart . I don't have a recipet . The heater i have keeps it at 78 and has a rubber co erung on it . The heaters that i could buy has different settings but i was told there glass with no covering and thats not good for the tanks .
Attachments
IMG_20161225_132341_748.jpg
Last edited by Paulie494 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulie494

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:36 pm   Re: New RES owner need advice .....

Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/shareprofi ... d=NDEyMTI=
Paulie494

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:35 pm   Re: New RES owner need advice .....

Photobucket didn't show anything.

I'd concentrate on getting him to eat... if you hold one of the fish and let wiggle in front of his face, will he try to eat it?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:10 pm   Re: New RES owner need advice .....

I will give the fish thing a try when i get home . Thanks again i tried doing the picture again . Hope it worksHi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/shareprofi ... d=NDEyNTc=
Paulie494

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:37 pm   Re: New RES owner need advice .....

It wasn't showing up in Chrome for me but its loading on Safari.

You should be able to add more water, the setup looks nice!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:13 pm   Re: New RES owner need advice .....

I wasn't too sure about how much water should be in there . I put 3x its shell lenght .
Paulie494

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:03 am   Re: New RES owner need advice .....

It could be gradual, let him adjust and get used to his new home first.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:02 pm   Re: New RES owner need advice .....

Hi again. Responded to same post you have under general care. I don't know how to move it over here but if you want to read it's there. Glad you meet Steve he's a good one for advise. What I have done with a turtle here and there as I got one that would not eat is : Go in your yard dig a hole get a live worm , most aquatic turtles cant resist that. Wash it off good hopefully somewhere no chemical were in the ground. I also would take him out tank place in an small container with some tank water to feed him the worm. Only about an inch of water. That way its right in his face , plus will keep your tank clean. Turtles are messy , never seen so far a turtle turn down a good worm. Let him poop in that container to most poo after they eat. That keeps your tank cleaner. If you can not dig a worm stores like Walmart in the fishing area will have live worms for bait about $2-$3 for like 24 in a box. More than you need but sure he will start to eat. Good you met Steve ! Good luck with your new family member.
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor