Urgent Care :: African Sideneck - First time eggs

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:57 am   African Sideneck - First time eggs

Hi, all, and Happy Holidays!

I was cleaning out my African Sideneck's sandbox today and was very surprised to find 12 eggs buried under the sand! We adopted Winnie November 2nd of 2015 and she has been in her tank by herself since then, and so I am quite sure she was simply gravid and these eggs are infertile? I have no idea what the gestation period is for an ASN, however.

On the very unlikely chance that these eggs are fertile - and although I am not well-equipped to incubate eggs - I put them in a plastic container and am trying to keep them warm (but not too warm... I've read 90F is dangerously high, and low 70s are getting too low) and not too dry either. Regrettably I do not know when she laid them, either, or in how many clutches (can my tiny Winnie hold 12 of these big eggs in her all at once??).

Even worse, I had no idea (today was the first time I've ever even seen a turtle egg in person before) there was a "right-side up" for each egg depending on how it was laid... I was very gentle with the eggs, but I can guarantee you that I was not remaining cognisant of their orientation when I removed them from the sandbox and put them into another container. :(

Please let me know of any advice you have. Winnie seems to be acting perfectly fine and so I am assuming she doesn't need any special after-care from me.

Thanks in advance!
turtlenojutsu

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:09 am   Re: African Sideneck - First time eggs

Here's a picture of where the eggs are now. Imgur's being dumb so I'll try to add it as a file on here and see how that goes... FYI this container is in the mid-70s right now, trying to get it closer to 80.

eggs.jpg

Edit - and here is her in-tank sandbox/basking area set-up, which she absolutely loves. Sand is maybe 8 inches deep. The container is about 17 inches long and 12 inches wide. Basking area stays ~90 degrees with the lights on.

bask1.jpg

bask2.jpg
turtlenojutsu

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:44 am   Re: African Sideneck - First time eggs

One more quick note - I'm pretty sure she has more eggs in her. On either side of her tail she's definitely bloated, but it's very firm unlike how it normally is. Hopefully she passes them without issue. I hope the disturbance of her nesting area doesn't make her not want to lay them now.

She's burying herself as I type this... fingers crossed.

bury.jpg
turtlenojutsu

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:54 am   Re: African Sideneck - First time eggs

It's unlikely those eggs are fertile BUT many turtle species can store sperm for at least a year, usually much longer. I have no clue about incubation, it will be slightly different for other species. There is also the question if you want to keep or destroy them.

It's great that she is laying them, it should make her next clutch easier to push through.

Has she buried herself before?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:32 pm   Re: African Sideneck - First time eggs

Hey, Steve - good to hear from you!

She buries herself all the time actually, which is why I was so surprised to find eggs. But I am glad that she still seems comfortable in her nesting/basking area. She slept there all night and I woke up to find her like this, lol!

funny.jpg

Do you know of any good online resources for this species? They definitely aren't as commonly kept as RES... a little harder to find conclusive answers on things.

I did read though that (in general) if a female is gravid and laying eggs that it is a sign of good health - I've heard their reproductive system goes a little haywire if they're in a poor/stressful environment... so maybe I should pat myself on the back there at least? I try to better educate myself constantly and am always revamping their aquariums (both Winnie's and my painted turtle's).
turtlenojutsu

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:02 am   Re: African Sideneck - First time eggs

Turtle Forum has a subforum dedicated to sidenecks, (http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload ... ked-necks/) It doesn't look too active and some of the advice looks a bit off but it should connect you with a few similar keepers.

What you said is true for RES. Laying eggs is normal and healthy but rare if they are kept alone. There are RES and similar turtles with overactive ovaries and will keep pumping out eggs, but as long they are expelled, she should be fine.

Have you tried candling the eggs? You would be able to notice any development but you might also want to toss them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:05 pm   Re: African Sideneck - First time eggs

Thanks, Steve!

I didn't think candling worked with turtle eggs? I will check with Turtle Forum to see if anyone over there has any advice. Last time I tried I couldn't even join their forum though (no one around to approve my account) so we'll see.

If there's even the slightest chance that they could lead to life I don't think I can toss them - if anything I will see to their hatching and find an adopter somewhere in my area. The eggs are out of Winnie's aquarium and so they aren't bothering her at all.

Edit - got logged in over at Turtle Forum, started a thread there too. The more help the better. :)
turtlenojutsu

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:08 pm   Re: African Sideneck - First time eggs

I looked up a quick guide on candling turtle eggs on YouTube... I'm not seeing any specks, veins or any other indicators that there may be life. It looks to me like all of the nutrients have settled to the bottoms of the eggs and there's not much else going on... thoughts?

egg1.jpg

egg2.jpg

egg3.jpg
turtlenojutsu

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:14 am   Re: African Sideneck - First time eggs

Love your usernames, :lol:. They might not appreciate all the back links though.

I think you're right. It was a long while ago when my RES produced some eggs. They were much smaller so there wasn't much to check. Are the egg shells still soft?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:23 am   Re: African Sideneck - First time eggs

Lol, thanks! My wife had me watching Naruto when I opened up my account on here, hence the name. I was trying to think of some loose "synonym" of it for Turtle Forum.

I'm not sure how to describe the egg shells - they aren't quite soft, but they do have a little give to them.

Also, one of the folks over at Turtle Forum believes Winnie is a Pelomedusa variabilis... I wish there was more material easily available to read on these guys!
turtlenojutsu

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:39 pm   Re: African Sideneck - First time eggs

Hopefully that clears her identity a bit. I never claim I'm good at IDs :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care