General Care Discussion :: need little help on new RES ....

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:04 pm   need little help on new RES ....

Hello everyone . I bought a RES on sat and put him in a 40 gallon turtle tank set up from pets mart . Came with the 511 turtle clean canister filter and aquatic turtle uvb and heat light combo deep dome lighting kit . I also put about 20 feeder guppies in as per reptile place told me that is good . Well my turtle never goes on the basking lamp and he won't eat , matter affect he is not really active and stays under the basking platform and barely moves around . He has only been in tank for 2 days should I be concerned . I also have water heater so temp stays at 76 degrees . Any advice would be greatly appreciated .
Attachments
IMG_20161225_132341_748.jpg
Paulie494

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:28 pm   Re: need little help on new RES ....

Welcome to the forum ! I myself am new to this forum but having turtles over 30 years. It's only been a few days , most any type turtle will get what is called new home syndrome. He/she will be scared and not very comfortable. What for now you can do is give say him one or two hiding places and give him time to adjust. Also you can put your tank in a room with less action going on to help calm him down , a lot of people walking by will scare him. In the water most turtles feel safer. Think about if you were in a glass house and everyone is watching your every move. He is in that glass house. Most people need to look at it the turtles point of view. I have heard some would put cardboard on the outside for a while so he feels like he's safe but that's ugly. Find a few safe plastic plants you can weight down to be on the bottom or make a cave with some safe rocks for him to hide in. Most of all each turtle will take the time he needs to adjust not the amount of time we want them to adjust. This will take weeks to months and some will never warm up to you ! Always hiding when someone comes into the room. Turtles will never be like a dog. Will never need a hug. Most type's are very happy being by themselves especially a RES and if it turns out to be male more so. To young to tell now. In time as he gets to know you especially when its feeding time he will get more comfortable. I found this is a good forum take time just to read a lot. Do your homework this will be a new family member. I have found most clerks at pet stores have no idea how to raise a pet. They just spit out what a store wants them to sell. As far as live fish , you will hear pro and cons on keeping them in a tank. Some say only as a once in a while treat. Me yes , my Mickey and Chopsley has made friends with some fish and ate others. Make sure you find a good care sheet to read . If you do be careful a lot for those feeder fish are kept poorly and or already sick. I breed my own fish , healthy! There's a lot to learn for a good habitat. And aquatic turtles will not be cheap to keep. Like me you become a DIY'er. Turtles are great to watch , they will entertain you and live a very long time when healthy. Again they will never need a hug. Water temp and #'s get good test kit. Please don't get them paper test strips. Get a real test kit. Lighting , heat , water and air/basking area , food , lots go into this. Just remember this is like a new kid in your home! Good luck with your new friend. You will find lots of ideas/help in this forum.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:34 pm   Re: need little help on new RES ....

Thanks man appreciate it . I actually got a yellow belly also a few days after i got my res and ever since i put the 2 together my RES has been very acti e and eating up a storm . Probably just a coincidence but wither way everything is good .
Paulie494

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:43 pm   Re: need little help on new RES ....

How big is it? Keep in mind that RES tend to become very aggressive towards other turtles.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:41 pm   Re: need little help on new RES ....

Your RES looks around or under 3" ? Being in a 40 gallon tank. Hope , if the yellow belly about same size they may grow up together. For awhile ?? Wont be long they will out grow your tank. (every inch of turtle needs 10 gallons) two three inch would need 60 gallons. Watch closely being the RES was in there first , yes by only a few days , he/she may feel this is his castle. Most will dominate the other. Yellow belly and RES grow almost the same. (Females -around 12" and males 9". I got lucky baby map with adult male RES in 150 tank and get along great. Only been around 2 months and I still watch VERY closely...All my years I never had a adult male RES that could be put with other turtles. At one point that RES will take over...getting aggressive to others. Being the first in your environment that RES may try to take control. You say he woke up some being more active. That's because you introduced another. Just me saying this but he says my tank , my food , mine ! , mine ! mine !. Watch them closely... Have you added anything to the tank , both will need a place they can hide and call there safe place ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:28 am   Re: need little help on new RES ....

Sorry for late reply . Yes they both have a hiding place and they both seem to be good together for now . I have a 100 gallon tank in garage for when they get a little bigger .
Paulie494

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:17 pm   Re: need little help on new RES ....

Good planning that day is coming soon. Two females would be great , can be in same tank. Then if two male RES you will need two tanks ,yes. 100 gallon tank sure it will have half water to be on the safe side. I just posted that my Mickey is really a mountain goat , climbs...big time ! Also that's only 50 gallons enough for five inches of turtle. ( each 1" of turtle needs 10 gallons) Say both 3" that's 6" of turtle tank half full water already to small...

I would give it some time to find out sexes down the road. One adult female RES (12"=full size) should have at least 120 gallons of water along with land area.
One adult male RES (9"= full size) should have at least 90 gallons with land area.

That 100 gallon will still come into play and save you money in future years. You may/could end up with two tanks... I found some turtles (males) like being alone or will be aggressive.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:23 pm   Re: need little help on new RES ....

My girls friend is a vet assistant and she said my yellow belly is a female . She was able to tell by the under she'll . I guess the way it curves but my RES she wasn't sure yet . I tried feeding veggies but there not taking to it and I also tried feeding n separate bowls but they wouldn't . Only pellets in big tank , so I put about 15 feeder guppies in . People said that will help with trying to keep tank clean
Paulie494

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:54 pm   Re: need little help on new RES ....

Keep that girlfriend!

I had turtle under shells fool me in my years. Just me , I go for the cloaca , my opinion , female cloaca rounder and close to the body. Male longer and more of a slit-like , also more towards the tip.

Keep trying different foods , they may still be adjusting to you and new home. Go in a yard and dig for a worm or two. Haven't found a turtle resist that. Cut it half or thirds if big. Feeder always in tank will add about same as what they take out... Good maintenance will keep tank clean.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:31 pm   Re: need little help on new RES ....

Sounds good bro . Thanks for the information . Gonna try worm
Paulie494

Return to General Care Discussion