Urgent Care :: My dad brought home a random turtle he found behind a dumpst

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:21 pm   My dad brought home a random turtle he found behind a dumpst

Hi,
Uh I really don't know how to start this. I'm as new as you can get to this forum, and I need help regarding a turtle. Figured this was the place to be. As my title stated, my dad literally just brought home a random turtle he found. I love animals, but my knowledge/experience is kind of (EXTREMELY) limited in the reptile sphere. I did some research before coming here though, and I found out the lil' buddy is a wood turtle (maybe). He's super scared, and I don't blame him/her. I'm kind of assuming this because it's hissing a bit. I put some carrots and parsley in an old fish tank, along with water in a shallow lid for easy access. I don't know where to go from here. He hasn't eaten anything I've given him/her, and I really don't know where to go from here. Like, aren't turtles supposed to hibernate? What do I feed them? Should I go buy mealworms??? I know I should go to the vet, and I will, but I'd sincerely appreciate any advice I can get.
Thank you so much.
farshir

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:31 am   Re: My dad brought home a random turtle he found behind a du

Let's try to get a correct ID first. Do you have any pics, of both the carapace and plastron? How big is the turtle? Where are you located? You might also want to be prepared sending him to a rehabber/rehomer if necessary.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:55 pm   Re: My dad brought home a random turtle he found behind a du

steve wrote:Let's try to get a correct ID first. Do you have any pics, of both the carapace and plastron? How big is the turtle? Where are you located? You might also want to be prepared sending him to a rehabber/rehomer if necessary.

http://m.imgur.com/YO1uikv << my photo is here because the file size was too large to be uploaded here, I must add that I recently removed the gravel and cleaned out the temporary tank. His scute # is 12, but I don't know what a plastron is. :-( his feet have orange spots. And I can't make out what kinda pattern his head has. I looked around for local turtle rescues , but the nearest ones are three states over. I had a friend recommend I take him to PetCo for adoption? What do you think of that? None of the local animal rescues take in reptiles either, and I'm very stuck. I'm in North Virginia, but my dad picked him up in MD. Specifically Prince George's county.
farshir

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:57 am   Re: My dad brought home a random turtle he found behind a du

I can't tell if it's a wood turtle from the pic. They are on the threatened species list, so I don't think keeping him is an option. As for rescues, look into Wildlife Center of Virginia (http://wildlifecenter.org/) If it's too far away, I'd look for a local herp vet and see if they can help. They will be way more suited than a Petco.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care