Habitat - Indoor :: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:05 pm   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

And magnums suck .. I was looking at other Marineland filters just don't know what models are good and cheap same as fluval .-.
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:28 pm   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

He said he's had it for about a year it's a regular rena xp it's got 2 trays but they're deep , he said he had it on a 75 gal with 2 large painted turtles and it kept it spotless . Also I found someone that's got bio balls for 5 cents a peice so $3 for 60 of them and a 10 foot by 2 foot peice of filter pad for 15 plus I think he said he had carbon too I have to text him and see but yea the guy that has the filter only wants 40 for it which I think is a good deal
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:10 am   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

He's also got seachem matrix I know it's good bio media but is it good for turtles ?
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:38 am   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

There are different XP models, so it looks like you're being offered the small one which I think isn't large enough for turtles. I don't know about Seachem Matrix, it might be a little more work to rinse/clean when you're doing maintenance.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:14 pm   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

The guy that trying to tell me it said it was on a 75 with two large painted turtles and he said it kept it clean I only have a 50 gallon tank with small turtles not even 3 inches long and I know somebody that selling The purigen and that's why I asked , but I don't know how much he wants for it .
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:14 pm   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

But I emailed somebody else that had a whole tank setup for sale on Craigslist and ask them if they still have the filter it's a Rena XP L I think
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:33 pm   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

Or I could go this route on media which would be cheaper ..
Attachments
2016-11-26 13.30.49.png
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:58 am   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

Don't reuse 2nd hand filter media ever. Same as bulbs. Have you looked into the Eheims? If your budget is that tight, I'd rather look into a lower end model from them especially if it's your first canister.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:11 pm   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

I have a magnum so it's not my first canister filter and no it's not been used it's brand new stuff .. but I always heard they were super expensive ..
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:36 pm   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

What was expensive? I'd avoid the Rena and 500 because of reports of leaking.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:13 pm   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

Ehiem I know is an expensive brand . And there's ways to modify a cfs 500 to reinforce it which would stop the leak problem . Like a lot of people say they have pressure cracks and leaks in other places . I've been researching the crap out of the cfs and there's actually parts on it that don't need to be .. I think it might be a cheap route to go with that one and just modify it myself and have fluval flow rate at a fourth of the price . Like the one thread I read on monster fish keepers a guy used a piece of plywood and regular wing nuts to reinforce the lid to avoid pressure cracks because of the use of poor plastic and some of the o-rings are too big and when you slide your hose on the hose connectors the o-rings slide and lose the effectiveness and cause leaks so by getting smaller ones they'll stay in place and form a leak proof seal .. I'm still gunna read alot on them but ive actually learned a lot about them ..
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:14 pm   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

If you're set on one of these filters, then get it from a site that will back you up. It will be nearly impossible to get any support from these manufacturers.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:52 pm   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

Aquatraders is down right now I think cause there will be a warranty if I get it from them ..
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:53 pm   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

But if I can get a hold of the guy that'd got the rena xpl then I'll be ok with that
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:06 am   Re: interesting question about odyssea cfs 500

They have been down for over a week. Not a good sign since they just missed the biggest shopping period of the year.
steve
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor