Equipment Review and Discussion :: Water heaters "Revised "

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:40 pm   Water heaters "Revised "

Just wanted to take a second to talk about my experience with water heaters. First off, I used to recommend Aqueon heaters because they had a lifetime warranty. Well turns out that's not really true. They will replace it one time. 3 years later and it failed again and they won't replace it. Shame on them! That leaves my other heater that no longer is under warranty but still works. My Yeager. I now would recommend them instead of Aqueon. Just wanted to share my experience. Happy holidays!
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:40 pm   Re: Water heaters "Revised "

I think the Eheims offer a 3 year warranty, no word on multiple replacements though. They used to be life-time, which is too bad because I have a couple that have stopped working.

Happy holidays to you too!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:00 pm   Re: Water heaters "Revised "

I just purchased an Eheim heater. Should be a wicked step up from my tetra heater. I recently purchased a new digital thermometer and discovered my water temps were dipping down to about 68-69* and getting up to temp with the lights on only. *sigh* So made the switch. The other day though I had a small scare as my water temp jumped up to 75.4 and the heater was pretty warm. I'm not sure if with the winter set in the temps dipped so low the heater finally decided to kick back on and miraculously work again or what....I'm monitoring it until my new heater comes, but boy, I think I'll be unplugging it when I leave the house and nobody is around to supervise it. No other issues...but really looking forward to the Eheim. I just hope it shows up sooner than expected. Expected deliver date isn't until December 1st. :(
marie_09

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:09 pm   Re: Water heaters "Revised "

If the digital thermometer is one of those $5 ones that is a probe, then do not reply on it as your main thermometer. They are wildly inaccurate.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:01 am   Re: Water heaters "Revised "

Hmmmmm yes it was one of those...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GR ... UTF8&psc=1

Do you have a suggestion for a different thermometer that I should look at? My current water reading this morning was about 66 degrees and it did feel pretty cold. I'm going to use the s.o's infrared thermometer to take snap readings of the basking area and water today and see where we are. I'll look for a new thermometer today. Suggestions welcome!
marie_09

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:09 am   Re: Water heaters "Revised "

One of those stick on glass LCD thermometer are reliable but not the most accurate. They are consistent so they are good in my book. Infrared temp guns are my go to thermometer.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:23 am   Re: Water heaters "Revised "

Thanks Steve!
marie_09

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:06 am   Re: Water heaters "Revised "

No problem! You can sometimes find temp guns for $12-15, and those LCDs will be at any petshop for $2.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion