General Care Discussion :: neck wound/cut?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:26 pm   neck wound/cut?

Hello everyone.

I have a RES that is roughly around 20 yrs, don't really know the true age since we've had it for roughly 18-20 years but it wasn't small when we got it so figures there's some years prior. Another we had for 25 years but should be older than that as we also inherited it. The one we had longer was male and the other is female. Its is a 50 gal tank at about 75-80% filled using Fluval 406 filter with a basking area with UVB light and natural sunlight.

So today. coming home from work, I noticed that the neck area of the female RES is much worse than before, it was pinkish before but was ok a couple of days after. Movement and eating is not a problem. However there was blood upon closer inspection so I wiped it down with tissue, took it out and placed it somewhere else with a little bit of water to cover the body and put some . Unfortunately I can't take good pictures since she won't pop out her head. See images below.

So far, I have place it in clean water with some Kordon Rid Fungus drops, about 1/2 lid cup. Hours later, it seems to have gotten better but I took her out for 30 mins to get dry and the wound seems to have worsened, a redder and a bit of blood. I'm putting her back in the water now.

I also notice there's a bit of pinkish in the back where the bottom shell meets the skin. Should I be worried about it? I'm also wondering if she cut herself on her own shell?

As this has never happened before, should I take her to the vet? I have no idea what to do or what ointment to apply. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

ImageImageImageImage
Thank you!

REherUt.jpgCqSERAm.jpgEfMY7VP.jpgtpOkdRG.jpg
BZero

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:59 pm   Re: neck wound/cut?

Is she kept along? The pinkish in the back looks normal, though the one on the neck looks like a sore or some thing. Is it circular in shape?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:46 am   Re: neck wound/cut?

steve wrote:Is she kept along? The pinkish in the back looks normal, though the one on the neck looks like a sore or some thing. Is it circular in shape?

Hi Steve, do you mean alone? If so, yea she is currently quarantined alone. Normally both turtles live in the same aquarium. In these pictures, it looks like a circular shape, but when the neck stretches, it doesn't seem like it..kind of hard to tell as she keeps on pulling her head back. I can't see any signs of cuts though but would it make a difference in what needs to be done if its a sore vs some kind of wound?
BZero

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:09 pm   Re: neck wound/cut?

If it were a bite, it could be easy to treat though you will have to separate them. I can't explain most sores, but they usually need some simple treatment.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:26 pm   Re: neck wound/cut?

Would they have to be permanently separated? This is the first time in what...15-20 years or so. What kind of treatment am I looking at? They are currently separated. Any cream to apply?
BZero

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:46 am   Re: neck wound/cut?

If it's aggression, it doesn't really stop. If it does, it's sure to pop up again. Treatment usually involves dry docking, and some plain antibiotic ointment.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:05 pm   Re: neck wound/cut?

Best thing to do from expierence with neck wounds is to keep them dry docked. Only soak them for like a hour a day or so to allow them to rehydrate. When I had my turtles dry docked for neck wounds I would get a Qtip and put neosporin on it and rub it all over the wound. 2 days on 1 day off the neosporin and keep that going till its all healed. I had a turtle with a huge chunk taken out the back of its neck and did what I said above..healed perfectly after about 3 weeks. It was pretty bad lol
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:59 pm   Re: neck wound/cut?

Hi everyone, want to revive this thread to say thanks for all the advice on treating my wounded turtle 6 years ago. They've lived happily after separating them.

However, my male RES over 30 years old just passed away today and the sadness is a bit overwhelming, more than I'd thought.

Hoping my female RES will be fine as she's probably over 30 as well.
BZero

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:31 am   Re: neck wound/cut?

I'm very sorry for your loss. My condolences.
Longhorn

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:07 pm   Re: neck wound/cut?

Sorry to hear it BZero. He lived a good life. They touch our lives in ways we never expected.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion