Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Gnats!! Help

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:06 pm   Gnats!! Help

I have a bug issue
From what I found online, the bugs I have in the tank are called fungus gnats.
I moved last year and there has been nothing like this in my tank before. I've had the turtle for 12 years now. The only thing I can think of is abut 6 months ago in the summer I had taken all the river rock out and rinsed it out. After putting it back in the gnat problem began. They made a mess of the tank and filter. I removed everything from the tank and scrubbed and rinsed everything down. Hoping to get rid of any larva eggs or gnats. Everything was fine until last week when they started back up again. Only a few this time. I've gotten some minnows to help get rid of larva. Because that has been the only suggestion at the local pet store. So I come here asking for help if anyone has had this problem in the past.

My set up has one in water filter and one out water cartridge.

I will add pics when I find out how. Thanks

Jon
Jrocksampsonite

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:45 pm   Re: Gnats!! Help

Are you actually finding larva? It's likely they are drawn to something else, any open garbage cans nearby?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:24 pm   Re: Gnats!! Help

I did the first time I had the problem. This time I'm not seeing anything. I just find them flying around the tank. There is no trash near by. It's just the tank. they do hang around the UVB florescent light. I'll have to do some research and find out if that's aiding in the growth.

Thanks for taking the time and coming up with possible causes Steve. Am I posting in the right place? Any where else or any one you can point me towards would be awesome.
Jrocksampsonite

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:42 pm   Re: Gnats!! Help

No, this isn't the right section but thats OK. What kind of basking dock do you have? What are you feeding the turtles? Is there any sort of water surface agitation?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.