General Care Discussion :: Should I Be Worried?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:37 pm   Should I Be Worried?

I have what I believe to be about a 10 month old female RES. She is one of three, she is about three inches SCR, her original aquarium mate was from the same nest, I'm pretty sure. He is what I believe to be a male, about 1 3/4", and another more recent addition who I believe is male, is about the size of a half dollar. They are in a75 Gal tank, but I also have a 30 gal in case they need to be sperated.
Since my husband brought the most recent little guy to me, I've stupidly given into the little beggars by overfeeding, in the hopes they would A) not starve the little guy and B) would remain chill about their new room mate. I've recently noticed some pyramiding on my big girl, not too bad I don't think, but in the last week or so, I've noticed some white lines between her scutes.
I've absolutely put her on a diet, removing her to a bowl she's comfortable in and attempting to feed her there. It's only been two days, but no luck so far. I float romaine in the big tank, pretty much 24/7 because they think it's cookies or something, so I know she won't starve.
Any advice? I'm completely new to all this, since I got the first two in Jan., and I've learned a lot but still have so much more to learn. There is no pinkness under the lines, no bad smell, no lifting of the scutes, etc. please let me know it I should be seeking vet assistance, thanks!
Attachments
IMG_3655.JPG
IMG_3655.JPG (56.23 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
Lori Kelso

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:49 pm   Re: Should I Be Worried?

Start with treats, but they often don't see their food in shallow water because they are looking up (at you) so you might need to point it out for them. The white lines might be shedding.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:27 am   Re: Should I Be Worried?

I'll try that with the treats. She loves shrimp of course. Glad to know it's nothing serious. I will, of course, be keeping a vert close eye on her.
Lori Kelso

Return to General Care Discussion