Habitat - Outdoor :: Confirming VET advice

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:23 am   Confirming VET advice

Hi everyone,
Have pondered through the site a lot of times but got myself registered to this great and noble community finally.

I reside in mumbai and have 2 RES. They are over 3 yrs since I bought them. Unfortunately none of the pet store guys have good knowledge of turtle care(not even dogs coz I witnessed a guy buying a husky pup without knowing anytg about the dog).

Anyways...I was caring for them with minimal info on them so never had any necessities in their tank. Only after keeping myself updated here got them filtration system, lighting systems and chaging water every 3 days. So they have a dry dock area on top of their tank. Recently saw their white marks wen dey wud get dry. But showed no sign of being unwell. Took them to vet who said they are healthy. I feed them veggies pellets nd guppies every alternate days. They get a good mix but at times the veggies are nt eaten as promptly as a live fish. My vet suggested to keep them in water for only an hour max nd mk a dry enclosure wid gravel nd rocks nd keep lighting on. Also every 4 days to apply betadine lotion on their shells. Its been 2 days I follow dis and I dont get a happy vibe wen near their tank. They just sit in one place nd appear longing for water. The previous set up had a dry dock if they chose to bt in dis case they have no water around. So wenever i feel hurt to look at them that way i put them in water for some time nd bak in that desert. :cry: ....I am compelled to post here now coz he refered to them as tortoises and that it is how they live. Just to be sure I told him they are RES turtles. But he said all turtles having nails are tortoises. I am really not sure what habitat to follow...should I continue the vets routine or go bak to my old habitat.
vineetohol

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:39 am   Re: Confirming VET advice

Can you describe the white marks? It might be normal if they are out of the water for long periods and minerals from the water are revealed. Can you explain the betadine lotion? It's not a cream but is a liquid.

Some more details about your setup and care would be helpful, then we can sort out any issues :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:52 pm   Re: Confirming VET advice

Hi Steve. Thanks for your time replying to me so promptly. Those are basically the shedding of its shells not peeled off completely. And also some white marks are like what you described. Deposits from the water. They seemed to be in the dry dock for most part of the day. Also i allowed them to let loose on the floor tiles once in a day for like 30 mins.Their main diets are lettuce, pellets and feeder guppies. I feed them lternate days mixing these 3 the most. Sometimes okra, cabbage, tomato. Now thinking of adding dry shrimps. I have a UVA nd UVB light. Water filter. Right now they are in the sand and gravel tank without water as doctor suggested for past 2 days. Betadine is a liquid to kill bacteria.
vineetohol

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:50 pm   Re: Confirming VET advice

Can you post pictures? Yes, sometimes minerals will gather around growth rings or around the face. Do you know if your water supply is hard (lots of minerals)?

Turtles will always prefer live prey/pellets over veggies.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor