Urgent Care :: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:54 am   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Did the vet mention an methods to get her to eat? At this point, keep her warm but I'd likely do a pedilyte soak.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:47 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Anyway so I've been doing so much research on what might be causing this. I've been noticing that her eyes have like a white film over them when she's sleeping or closing her eyes and it takes her a minute or two where I an see her eyes like they are stuck and she has a hard time opening them. I will get a picture the next time and post it. I was thinking she might be partially blind so I tried tuna with tweezers and she wouldn't touch it. Then I got to thinking maybe she has a vitamin A deficiency. I'm surprised the doctor I took her too didn't think of that because it's very possible but it's strange how she was fine before the accident. Just so puzzled. :?
carol3810

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:58 am   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Ok, so I've been doing tons of research in the last hour and I think I know what's wrong with my turtle. When she got the injury I put her in slightly dirty water. What I mean is I hadn't just cleaned it and since she had a cut the water had to be very clean because it just takes a little bacteria to get in my turtles eye to give her an eye infection. It can be treated with antibiotics which is good. It fits because she is constantly swiping her eyes and when they a closed there's this big white film over both of them and she has a hard time opening them. I'm really surprised the herp vet missed this as I told her she was swiping her eyes. Would this cause the not eating though? Please chime in if you have any experience in this. Thanks so much!
carol3810

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:21 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

I'm not sure... but you don't want to over analyze the problem. It's frustrating not knowing whats going on and how to treat it but use your best judgement.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:41 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Thanks for the advice. You're right though, this is driving me nuts. Just sooooo frustrating. Well the vet told me to give her another call if she's not eating in a week. Hopefully she doesn't go that far but there's no sign of improvement so far. :(
carol3810

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:16 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

My advice for you is that you call right away before it's too late...don't wait. Tell her about the eyes and swiping and that you suspect vitamin A deficiency. If vet refuses give her a shot or says "there's nothing wrong and let wait another week" then my advise for you is to find another vet who's qualified. When turtle like RES don't eat that's not normal...either they are hilbernating or sick. Eating is their main goal in this life.
"When an animal puts their trust in us, may we never let them down..."
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:50 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Thanks for posting Madly. I did just that on Friday. They all looked at me like I was paranoid again and they didn't see anything wrong other than the not eating. The doctor mentioned the Vitamin A but wasn't really sure. This time they put her in a tub and gave her a live meal worm and no interest. So they started her on antibiotics (ceftazidime) in case it was a bacterial infection. One shot every 3 days. I have to give her another tomorrow and I hope I do it right. She still hasn't eaten and this turtle is normally a real beggar. How long can they go without eating? The weird thing is the guy that weighed the turtle was saying the turtle gained a little weight, which I can't see how that is possible because I know exactly what I gave her and nothing was eaten. He said I worry to much and he's seen a turtle go 6 months without eating. How can I tell if the turtle has a vitamin A deficiency? I feel so bad for my turtle, I wish there was more that I could do. :(
carol3810

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:58 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

I know this is jumping the gun a bit but how long should I wait before I should consider getting a feed tube and feed her that way? I just don't want her to starve to death. Anyone have experience with this :?:
carol3810

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:50 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

I found this from another forum.
http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/index.php?/forums/topic/104129-res-eye-infection-help/

Carrot juice may help your little one there's a A vitamin. Also I would give her little bit pureed food from syringe (without neelde). Turtle neck has to be streched out during the forcefeeding and you have to be careful when you feed her.
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:42 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Have you tried the pedilyte soak I mentioned before? Add some crumbled in pellets in there if you try it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:19 am   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Hi,
I haven't tried the pedialyte soak yet. Going to wait just a little longer then I will try it. Also, since my turtle is a female could she possibly be gravid? She really ate a ton before all this happened and I heard that it's common in gravid turtles to eat like crazy and then eat very little or nothing. She pooped a ton after this happened. I have never seen so many logs. They all looked normal, no blood or anything. My doctor didn't mention that she may be gravid but she may have checked and just didn't say anything. My turtle is a little more active and I've been putting Neosporin on her head wound and that's practically all cleared up. Still not eating though but I am encouraged that she's at least a little more active. I'm just hoping whatever is causing her not to eat stops and she starts eating soon as it's going on 3 weeks. What can no turtle resist food wise. I'm desperate. Live meal worms didn't work and neither did tuna. Any other things I can give her she may love? I will post a picture of her tomorrow and show how she's healed. Oh and I had trouble with the antibiotic shot today and couldn't give it to her properly. It's harder than it looks. She was squirming so much and I know it hurt her and I don't think it even went in cause I saw the liquid on the shell. Her eyes are looking better so I'm thinking now it may not be a bacterial infection unless the one shot the doctor gave her helped. Thanks to all of you! You don't know how helpful all this feedback is to me and I really appreciate it. :)
carol3810

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:27 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

I still recommend you to give her warm carrot juice soak. And you can shred little bit fresh carrot in it. When she's in it she will drink it little bit and that will give her vitamins and nutrients she needs and maybe she will take a bite of carrot.
She can't go on without drinking. So this is what I would try because it's least i can do. Also juice won't do any harm when she have to take antibiotics.
My turtle loves carrot and shrimp and everything that's fresh ( berries, fruit, vegetables, dandelion, meat, fish, chicken, egg etc.) she eats everything but she don't love pellets or dried worms, shrimp. Try fresh food.
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:17 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Good news my turtle after 1 month and a week finally ate yesterday. She'll only eat meal worms but just so happy she ate. I gave her a combo carrot juice/ low sodium v/8 juice soak today and ground up some repto pellets and carrots in hopes of getting her some of the nutrients she may need after not eating a month. BIG thank you for all the great suggestions you all gave. Thanks again!!!!
carol3810

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:50 am   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Great to hear!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:11 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Great news :)
-April Peerless-
Madly

Previous

Return to Urgent Care