General Care Discussion :: Help Someone gifted me a turtle

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:53 am   Help Someone gifted me a turtle

Hey someone gifted me a red eared slider. Its about 1 and a half inches long. Very friendly but I dont know how to care for it. Dont worry im an adult not a kid, but it came in a generic cage with a vented lid and a fake palm tree... and it came with adult aquatic turtle pellets which he doesn't seem to like their too big for his mouth and he won't eat them unless they get super soggy. So he's eating like one every other day. I've had him for five days. He has water to swim in and rocks to sit on but he seems to lay in the water alot.. I know this cage isnt what he needs its so small.. kinda like the ones hermits are sold in at the beach, not the ones with bars.. the plastic ones... help please I dont want the poor guy to die.
NewTurtleMomma

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:43 pm   Re: Help Someone gifted me a turtle

Ugh, unexpected pets make the worse gifts! Good thing you decide to get some advice!

Take some time and read through the links at the top of the page. Post any questions here and we'll be happy to answer them.

The initial bowl you have sounds like one of the infamous "death bowls", so the first thing maybe to start looking around for a decent aquarium.
devilduck

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:37 pm   Re: Help Someone gifted me a turtle

I feel so bad I didn't expect him, but now I wanna do anything to make sure little Sheldon survives. Can I handle him? And what size aquarium does he need?!?! He so little :(
NewTurtleMomma

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:41 am   Re: Help Someone gifted me a turtle

You'll want to handle him as little as possible. Is he eating yet? I'd start by looking around your home for a larger rubbermaid container and go from there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:52 am   Re: Help Someone gifted me a turtle

Okay I switched him to an old 20gal I had in the basement, and I made an area for him to get out of the water. Even tho he rarely does, he's not really eating.. but the pellets say adult aquatic turtle pellets, he's so tiny there's no way he's a adult.. :/ he seems sad.. he just lays with his face against the glass... how do I make the water the right temp for him?
NewTurtleMomma

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:00 pm   Re: Help Someone gifted me a turtle

Get a submersible water heater... Aqueon Pro is a good brand. Getting them warm and eating are the top two priorities in my book. Soak the pellets in some tuna water for a little bit. Also consider some live prey (minnows).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:47 am   Re: Help Someone gifted me a turtle

Okay so I checked the pet store for minnows and their all too big I even talked to the guy there and he said I should find freeze dries water fleas for Sheldon :/ where do I buy that? Would that fish place have them
NewTurtleMomma

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:33 am   Re: Help Someone gifted me a turtle

What about guppies? They are not as colorful and might not attract as much attention. Minnows are soft, he will likely rip them apart before eating.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion