Habitat - Indoor :: Product review: Zoo Med Turtle Dock

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:05 pm   Product review: Zoo Med Turtle Dock

Hello all,

I would like to give a review for a certain product that I had previously purchased for my two RES turtles, Nibbles and Swimmer. My feedback will be on the product Zoo Med Turtle Dock.

Anything I write here is a complete bias and should be taken with a grain of salt. Others may have had a better experience with this product, but I have not and my purpose is to only inform those of what the worst case scenarios are for using the product.

Function:
It's purpose is to serve as a basking are for the turtles. It can also be used as an underwater shading if you find the temperature of the water are warm and your turtles are lingering under this area.

Preparation:
It's not too difficult to install. Not many prefer the suctions that are installed on the holder which helps hold the dock in place. If you are already encountering issues with the product this early, then that's where it will go downhill fast. I had the holder and suctions attached just fine, but when I went to rinsing the dock (as instructed) I noticed something odd - Small black particles were falling off the surface to my surprise. I slid a finger over the surface and found that they were in fact, from the surface of the dock and I wasn't sure if I was rinsing it correctly, or if I was holding it in the correct position for the water to run over it.

Maintenance:
The dock doesn't get dirty as frequently as the water so as long as you are not feeding your turtles over it and they are not excreting their waste on it.

My problem with the black particles continues here. The particles began sticking to my turtles after they had first basked on it. I discovered that when I moved them to the smaller tank for feeding. Turtle pellet bits and black debris were sinking to the bottom. I was agitated by the possibly of them ingesting those ... whatever material those black particles may be, so I ended up washing the dock thoroughly, and letting it dry before drying it off with a towel and ensuring that there were no excess bits on them that could get onto the turtles or the water.

Then there's the possible of the suctions loosing it's function it uses 4 suctions to hold up the dock, and if you have 2 or more of it not functioning properly then it will certainly give your turtles a hard time climbing onto it if they haven't already.

Convenience:
I'm talking about how convenient it is for our turtles to use it for it's purpose without difficulty ... which was not for my turtles. Note that the dock is fairly uneven in height, so there will be areas where the base is low enough for the turtles to climb on, while others they will need to put a huge strain on their arms just to get on. The dock I had purchased was a small size, but even then it was difficult for my baby turtles to climb on. The only sides where they could access the basking spot was on the shorter ends of the dock.

The next issue is the small gap between the holders that are attached to the wall and the dock. One of my turtles had been caught between the gap, likely due to them believing they could climb on that way and with their size (babies) they managed to get stuck between there. I had to take it apart just to free the lil' guy. I'm only fortunate that he didn't suffer any scratching or injuries on their shell.

The only pros about this is that the surface of the dock is fairly smooth and only slightly lumped, so they won't have a rough time moving around on the dock.

I only hope that it's because the dock is not designed for baby turtles that are less than 2 in. in diamter of their shell. It was not convenient for my turtles to use.

All in all, using this product was not a good experience for me. :(

Rating: 2/5 stars
Last edited by Protracturtle on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."
Protracturtle

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:30 pm   Re: Product review: Zoo Med Turtle Dock

This product has been around a long time, glad to read an undated review. Seems like there are still some issues with it, I'd recommend anyone considering this to buy from a place with a great return policy.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:13 pm   Re: Product review: Zoo Med Turtle Dock

I have this same dock, and we love it. We have two turtles that currently use the dock (both are a year old, and 3 inches in diameter). I noticed the black things coming off when I was rinsing it as well, so I just used the pressure of my hand to rub the dock until the black was not coming off anymore. Then I had no problems with the black spots. The sutions work great, we put the dock in while the tank was empty, and then filled it up. Every once in a while they manage to pull on of the suctions off by trying to go behind the dock, but we just fix it when we do a water change. Both turtles climb on it at the same time, although they try to get on from the side that is not the entrance. The dock is set up so there's an obvious entrance side for the turtles to climb up on, the water should cover enough that they can basically swim to where they can fully fit on it. The other side is steeper, and shorter, allowing the dock to have plenty of basking space, but also allowing the turtles to slide off it. Our turtles love this dock and constantly go on to bask. I hope you will give the dock another try, and maybe rinse it off a little more in the sink if you are worried about the black dots.
ArtemisBethel

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:54 am   Re: Product review: Zoo Med Turtle Dock

I had the same dock, medium size. For all intents and purposes it did the job but if I had a complaint it would be the dock material. it seems to be made out of hard pressed foam which is good because it makes it lightweight and able to stay at water level. I just didn't like the black debris(as mentioned by others) that would come off the dock. As well due to the nature of the dock material any determined RES could start to chip away at it. Mine was fine until my turtle started to nibble at it and he eventually ate himself a nice little groove in the ramp area. Smaller turtles may have a hard time biting chunks but as they get larger it would be a concern to think about. Otherwise It was satisfactory but I personally would find one that is made from a different material.

Just to clarify as well I feed him a mix of omega one/reptomin, RES red/green leaf lettuce everyday plus a small chunk of cuttle bone every couple of weeks so I dont believe him biting at it was due to mineral/vitamin deficiency. Plus he doesn't nip at the new dock I got him at all(Well i haven't caught him LOL)
Mikey82

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:48 pm   Re: Product review: Zoo Med Turtle Dock

What's the new dock you got him?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:35 pm   Re: Product review: Zoo Med Turtle Dock

steve wrote:What's the new dock you got him?

Reptiles Planet Turtle Island https://www.bigalspets.com/ca/reptiles- ... sland.html

Pretty happy with it so far. I've caught him trying to bite at it and no chunks taken out lol :D
Mikey82

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:01 am   Re: Product review: Zoo Med Turtle Dock

Looks better than the Zoo Med dock!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor