General Care Discussion :: What is the lowest temp turtles can handle? Please Help!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:32 pm   What is the lowest temp turtles can handle? Please Help!

I know ideally, they're water should be 75-78 but I want to move my turtles outside and it is starting to get cold. Where I live it doesn't get too snowy except for maybe a few times. Right now this week, the lowest it gets at night is 45 and 64 during the day. I wouldn't mind bring them inside at night or on cold days, it's just that the indoor tank is a lot smaller so I'd like to keep them outside as much as possible. I have two small heaters I can try to add to they're huge outdoor 'pond' but I don't think it'll heat all of it and I can't afford a bigger heater right now. I'll have a thermometer to track the water temp though.

So my question is: what is the lowest tempature res turtles can handle before they either get sick or hibernate? Would adding substrate help them keep warm? If so, what's the best and least dirty option? Should I bring them in at night? At what temperature of the water and/or the outside should I bring them in? Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Raena

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:02 pm   Re: What is the lowest temp turtles can handle? Please Help!

How big are your turtles? How big is the outdoor setup?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:24 pm   Re: What is the lowest temp turtles can handle? Please Help!

My turtles are 7 inches and maybe a little more since I haven't measured them again in a couple months. The outdoor setup is a circular pool, 8 feet diameter. I filled it up today only half way and I calculated there's about 200 gallons in it with a shallow and deep end due to an unlevel surface despite my efforts. If I were to try again to level it, it could probably hold about 500 gallons.
Raena

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:13 am   Re: What is the lowest temp turtles can handle? Please Help!

Temperature tolerance varies since age and health play important roles. Generally, I think around 65-75 is fine but I wouldn't go any lower. Of course there are many who do, but you will have to decide on how you want to care for them.

200 gallons, it too small if they are to be continually kept outdoors. Those who do keep them outdoors usually have deep ponds that have thousands of gallons of water.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion