Urgent Care :: Lethargic turtle, one eye closed, wrinkly eyes and nose, PLE

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:58 am   Lethargic turtle, one eye closed, wrinkly eyes and nose, PLE

Hi! I have a baby red eared slider turtle. I got him last Sept. 29. Then on Oct. 1, I researched about RES and read about fungal infections. I inspected my turtle and I saw indeed some infections which apparently he already has when I got him (I checked his 1st day videos and pictures). He was at first very active but on Oct. 3, he was lethargic and would prefer to always bask. When I place him in the water he would swim towards his basking area. And I really got worried.

I went to the vet last Oct. 4 and the vet said the following:
1. He only weighs 6 grams and indeed he has infection. She suggested betadine wash. Diluted betadine (1 is to 1, water to betadine). Apply the solution all over the turtle's body, rinse then dry dock for a two hours then place him in an isolation tank. Do this once a day until the infection goes away.
2. She cannot give my turtle any antibiotics because he's sooo tiny. That what I can do right now is to make sure that the water is always clean and that there is a separate feeding place for the turtle.
3. She does not recommend UVB lamp and water heater. What she recommends is 5 minutes direct sunlight exposure 2x a day.
Then upon arriving home I noticed that his left eye is closed. But I already started the betadine wash immediately. I also took the initiative to buy pure cod liver oil in soft gel caps. I drizzle one drop on each eye everyday since Oct. 6 until Oct. 10. His infections around his neck healed already however, his closed eyes and nose looked wrinkly to me. And he seemed more lethargic than usual. And he refuses to swim. He just basks all day so I give him lukewarm baths twice a day for an hour or two with his cod liver oil covered pellets. He has not pooped since last night.
I am hesitant to take him to the vet again because she might say the same thing again. Though I already asked my brother to take him later. I live in the Philippines and she is the only herp vet that I found. :(
I don't want to lose my baby. Is there anything else I can do? I change his water everyday, I give lukewarm baths, he has a regular light on his basking area, I also placed aluminum foil around his place to keep his water warm, I already ordered a water heater (which is yet to arrive) and as much as possible I don't handle him unnecessarily. Oh I also use purified water.
What else can I do? I am desperate. :(
Thank you!
Jheng

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:15 pm   Re: Lethargic turtle, one eye closed, wrinkly eyes and nose,

Hi Jheng, I'm new here too, I've kept turtles for 5 years and I have also rescued some baby red eared sliders with infections from closed down pet stores. I'm really grateful that you took your baby to the vet, well done!

What is the turtle's water temperature / your room temperature?
Is he eating?
Is it possible to get any photos uploaded?

He sounds pretty weak right now, I think it's a good idea to only give him really shallow water to soak in, so that he can just raise his head to breathe without wasting extra energy. Sick turtles can drown, so being careful could save a life!

If he's so weak and not eating, he may need some direct glucose (although I'm not sure how to administer it to him, could anyone else reply?).
Peninsula Cooters: Hachi and Pudding, 5 year old girls.
Baby RES: Mochi, Cho-Cho and Lemon.
Albino African Clawed Frog: Tamama.

“...But the functions of intellect are insufficient without courage, love, friendship, compassion, and empathy.” — Dean Koontz
Hachi_Pudding

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:34 pm   Re: Lethargic turtle, one eye closed, wrinkly eyes and nose,

What kind of fungal infection? Photos would be helpful. Do get him some sun, its very beneficial for them but make sure there is complete supervision.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:12 pm   Re: Lethargic turtle, one eye closed, wrinkly eyes and nose,

Here's an update:

1. The first time I took him to the vet, the vet did not recommend UV lamp, water heater and dechlorinator though I specifically asked if my turtle need it. However, when my brother took him last Wednesday, a different vet (it was a hospital for exotic pets) said I need the UVB lamp. And so I bought him one yesterday.
2. The vet ruled out RTI and his fecalysis was also ok. Suggestions for treatment: continue diluted betadine wash all over his body (he still has some fungal infections around his neck) then rinse off. After put an undiluted betadine on his shell. Dry dock him for 40 mins, then place him in a shallow water, isolation container but with basking stone. Multivits on his pellets and CLO on his water.
3. He's just soooo tiny. So the vet refused to administer any invasive interventions such as injections. Even a 0.1mg of any intervention is deadly to Pong.

What I did:
1. I already bought him the Reptisun 5.0W UV lamp.
2. I bought him some turtle multivits and calcium supplement. I soaked his pellets in a few drops of CLO and multivits (it was in liquid form) for a few minutes and I gave it to him. After 2 hours, I removed him from his feeding area and placed him in his "isolation" room.
3. I gave him lukewarm baths last night

Here are my questions:
1. How long should I expose him to the UVB lamp? The vet was vague. Just simulate daytime. But here in the Philippines we only have sun for around 10hrs. From 630am until around 5pm.
2. How do I use the calcium supplements? It is also in liquid form and specially made for reptiles. The vet did not recommend it but his shell was soooo soft. I fear for my turtle> :(
3. I haven't bought the dome yet, but I will this weekend. What I used was an aluminum foil. Is that alright?
4. Can I give him the multivits everyday? I only feed him at night.
5. What else can I do? I feel so helpless

p.s. will buy the water heater too this weekend.
Jheng

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:17 pm   Re: Lethargic turtle, one eye closed, wrinkly eyes and nose,

How long can I expose him to the sun? I currently live in an apartment and he cannot get direct sunlight from where I am staying. But I am willing to place him under the sun every morning before I go to work. My room where he's at is air conditioned at night. Is that bad? We also have another baby RES. He was also sick when we got him but he pulled through without the water heater and UVB lamp and the supplements; he's currently swimming well in our aquarium. But my turtle did not improve. :(

Thank you so much for the help. Turtle pets here are not that common so I don't know of anyone else that can answer my questions. And to be honest, I don't trust the vet 100%. :( Or I am just a worried parent.
Jheng

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:59 am   Re: Lethargic turtle, one eye closed, wrinkly eyes and nose,

They were both a hospital for exotics? Without knowing the severity of his condition, I'm not able to give a clearer recommendation.

1 - that time is fine, more important that he gets the uvb while basking
2 - what is he eating now? a hatchling shell would normally be slightly pliable
3 - it can wait
4 - I'm not sure what multivits is
5 - I admire your efforts for a hatchling turtle. Mainly, keep his water clean and offer a of privacy. Avoid excessive handling.
6 -As for how much depends on how strong it is. Use your best judgement but don't overdo it
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:35 pm   Re: Lethargic turtle, one eye closed, wrinkly eyes and nose,

Hi Steve,

I really appreciate your response. The animal hospital I went to is the Vets in Practice (ste.vetsinpractice.com.ph). They have three exotic vets there doing shifts. The first time I came in, it was a female vet. When my brother dropped by, it was a male vet.

I gave him pellets I bought from a pet store and the occasional green veggies such as shredded lettuce. I bought multivitamins drops specifically for turtles and liquid calcium supplement. Someone suggested that I force feed him the supplements which I did. But just like you said, he said to not overdo it and only do it once a day and give it some time for the supplements to work.

Ok, I will avoid excessive handling. I might be guilty of that. I am just worried because both of his eyes are already closed. I wil send pics tomorrow.

By the way he has not pooped for three days already. I think he does not like the CLO drops so I decided to skip the CLO last night. Does he really need the CLO?

Thank you for the patience in answering my questions. It is my first time to own a turtle and I am at complete loss. And I want to give him all the chances to survive. And I am still hoping for the best.

Thanks Steve
Jheng

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:59 pm   Re: Lethargic turtle, one eye closed, wrinkly eyes and nose,

I don't know what CLO is. Try to concentrate on the pellets but also any sort of live prey. He will not eat if he can't see. Have you seen him actually eat?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care