Habitat - Indoor :: turtle tank size question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:04 am   turtle tank size question

Hi guys. My turtle is around 4-5 inches in length and is a male. Currently I am a student, and cannot afford a giant tank for my turtle.
I have a 50cm x 60cm x 45 cm tank, and I'm wondering how long will that last, and is it okay to keep my turtle in a tank that does not follow the 10 gallons for each inch rule? I really am limited by my parents about the space I can occupy in the house, so I want to know if it is okay.

What negative effects will living in a smaller enclosure have on a RES?
yourfreakyneighbourh

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:10 am   Re: turtle tank size question

That is probably the minimum you want, but good news is that your turtle will not grow much larger. He should be fine, but find a way to fill it up and you might need an extended basking area or one kept above it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:41 am   Re: turtle tank size question

steve wrote:That is probably the minimum you want, but good news is that your turtle will not grow much larger. He should be fine, but find a way to fill it up and you might need an extended basking area or one kept above it.

That is fantastic to hear. Thank you! He is not basking a lot due to him being extremely fearful of humans, and has algae covering him as a result. I have purchased a much bigger platform so hopefully he can get some basking done.
yourfreakyneighbourh

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:28 pm   Re: turtle tank size question

You might need to do a gently cleaning on his shell if the algae is excessive. Don't be afraid to rethink the tank... it's hard to figure out the right setup when you're limited in space but always give as much privacy when they are adjusting. Maybe some visual barriers or relocating the tank will help.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor