General Care Discussion :: I NEED HELP!! MOM in NEED

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:41 pm   I NEED HELP!! MOM in NEED

Hello!

I just recently purchased a red ear slider for my son, he saw it his eyes lit up he begged and I gave in!!! Now I thought this would be a breeze but it's turned from breezy to very hard. I'm an animal lover, people lover, a LOVER! I purchased the turtle from a flea market of course. The guy gave me the turtle in a plastic rectangular tank the lid has holes in it so u can pour the water out once its dirty. he gave me turtle pellets and said to feed the turtle every Monday and Wednesday. Also to fill the tank with warm water NOT FILL but enough water for turtle to swim and its a little plastic piece for the turtle to bask at. NOW i'm thinking I got this until I start researching and everything I read is nothing of which he said. It looks like the turtle needs to be fed daily, needs heat etc., I just feel terrible because I have this cute little baby turtle on my table and I don't know how to care for it. In addition to that I fed him the pellets today and there still just floating in the water!! He/she hasn't touched them, he/she is actively moving and sticking it's head outside the water for the most part. Any suggestions on what I need to do or should be doing? PLEASE HELP my son would be upset if we give it up!
MarMar13

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:00 pm   Re: I NEED HELP!! MOM in NEED

Spend some time reading over the links on the top of this page. The bottom line is this: A pet slider is a pet, and not a commitment you should take lightly. It's not a hermit crab. They can live for decades, and can become quite expensive if cared for correctly. If you do not have the time or money to invest in a pet - find the poor guy another home. Otherwise, keeping a RES is an extremely rewarding hobby! They are magnificent pets, and I love my turtle as much as my dogs (and he'll be around a lot longer!).
OtisDriftwood

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:34 am   Re: I NEED HELP!! MOM in NEED

I agree with OtisDriftwood 100%

Once you become familiar with everything and pick up some basic equipment, it will get much easier. It is still a commitment but a manageable one.

Does he have some privacy? Can you find a large, clean plastic storage container to use as a tank?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion