General Care Discussion :: RES Male Flirting with female

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:39 pm   RES Male Flirting with female

So... I have adopted two RES turtles. My male (Yoda) has been fanning for Leia (my female) and has been grabbing her leg with her mouth and not letting go. The rescue I got them from says that it is from stress or he could just be 'in the mood'.... Does this type of behavior come and go for the males? I am afraid he will hurt Leia ... and even though I love them both and their personalities... I might have to return Yoda to the rescue. Help. I just need to know if this too will subside.
Brosb123

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:50 pm   Re: RES Male Flirting with female

That's not fanning or fluttering behavior and it will likely escalate. Most males become increasingly aggressive and some females are aggressive too. Whether or not he wants to mate, the harassment will continue.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:55 am   Re: RES Male Flirting with female

Do you recommend that I return Yoda, my male, and just have one turtle? Do you think a tank larger than 55 gallons would help? I find that when Leia, my female, is basking Yoda swims around like he is having great fun.
Brosb123

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:44 pm   Re: RES Male Flirting with female

It's tough, but unless you can manage two tanks, then yes I would return one. Keep in mind that males stay smaller if that is a factor. As for a 55 gallon, that would probably be the minimum sized tank for an adult male RES.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:50 am   Re: RES Male Flirting with female

Sadly I will be returning Yoda this weekend. I am crying because even though he has been troubling... I have enjoyed him.
Brosb123

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:09 am   Re: RES Male Flirting with female

It's a tough decision, but it's to your and Leia's benefit. Good luck Yoda!
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion