Urgent Care :: Turtle Under Shell Peeling (After Water at 107 Degrees)

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:52 pm   Turtle Under Shell Peeling (After Water at 107 Degrees)

Last week my tank heater broke and heated up over night. When I work up, I checked on my Red Eared Slider and saw him frantically running around on his dry dock. I also saw all his feeder fish dead and floating. I checked the temperature, and the water was 107.5 degrees..... I immediately removed my turtle from the tank and replaced his water with cool water, and got a new tank heater.

He was very scared, but after a couple days is back to his normal playful self. I thought he looked okay physically until Yesterday...... I was holding him and noticed the underside of his shell is peeling badly.

What do you guys think about this? He likely got burnt in the water, it was likely that hot for several hours if not as long as eight hours while I was sleeping...

Should I consider going to the vet? He looks healthy and has been eating and playing like usual.

Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_0400.jpg
IMG_0400.jpg (65.49 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
IMG_0397.jpg
IMG_0397.jpg (36.53 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
IMG_0401.jpg
IMG_0401.jpg (44.95 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
MrWoppit

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:45 pm   Re: Turtle Under Shell Peeling (After Water at 107 Degrees)

Most of it looks like normal shedding. He should be OK but keep an eye out for anything unusual.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care