Habitat - Indoor :: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:28 am   Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

Hey all, I am new to this site and fairly new to turtle parenting. I do not have a red ear slider. I adopted two reeves turtles back in July this year. I am about to redesign their aquariums. I was wanting to get some live aquatic plants for them to munch on. Also I would like to get some live plants for their basking areas. I have foind some info on aquatic plants (java ferns, arrow-something, parrots feather) but, I have not been able to find anything about what types of out of water plants are turtle friendly. Foes anyone have some advice and or tips?
TurtleTimm

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:35 am   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

There are a couple of lists and various mentions on the site. I don't think there is a specific out of water plant list that I recall, but I usually check that against various pet-friendly plant lists.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:53 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

Thanks, Stevie. I will look into some pet friendly plant lists tonight, for non aquatic plants. Through further reading since I have joined RES I have found several aquatic plants that can be used.
Cheers :)
TurtleTimm

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:36 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

Please share with what works for you :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:11 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

I will! It is going to be a couple of weeks before i get anything setup.
I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I am buying a little bit at a time. Once i have everything . I will be redesigning their tanks.
I currently still need:
2 -Light hoods for plants
1 -20 gallon long stand
8- aquatic plants 4 for each tank
# of -Some non aquatic plants i am considering starting some clover, bok choy and kale. For the basking area. They all seem to be turtle and tortoise friendly. Just not sure how I will grow them in side a aquarium.
# of- Some fish not sure what species yet

The I will be getting one of the hood lamps or the aquarium stand this weekend.
TurtleTimm

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:31 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

I have also considered trying some aquatic plants such as java ferns out of water. I think they willbe okay if I can keep the roots saturated with water
TurtleTimm

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:38 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

So you want to grow vegetables for them?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:19 am   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

It was an idea I had considered. However, I think there will be too many complications.
TurtleTimm

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:26 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

For an indoor tank, you really want to keep things simple. Maintenance becomes a chore, so the faster and easier it can be done, the better :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:20 am   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

I just finished building my basking area. About to clean tank and start arrangements. I am having trouble posting pictures.
TurtleTimm

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:29 am   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

If they are too big, you might have to resize them. Feel free to email them to me and I will put them up.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:35 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

Thank you, Steve. That is very generous of you. Unfortunately, I don't know how to find your email lol
TurtleTimm

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:32 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

You can reach me here: redearslider@gmail.com
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:44 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

Thank you very much! I just sent you several photos. The picture with all the rocks was my first setup. Made things really hard to clean. So I decided to change it a bit. I took all the rocks out. Built a pvc/acrylic basking area, which I had considered planting in. Put some drift wood in and let it sit for a few days. I have several aquatic plants i will introduce to the tank eventually waiting for the roots to grow real good before i do. I introduced my turtle yesterday. Then went to work. when i came home the water was really cloudy with what looks like white slime in it. Not sure what to do.
TurtleTimm

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:50 am   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor