General Care Discussion :: Franklin Hiding/Sleeping

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:55 pm   Franklin Hiding/Sleeping

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post on the site. I am the owner of a 3 1/2 year old male red eared slider. He is in good health, active and eats great. I wanted to ask about an odd behavior he displays. If I put any structure that he can hide underwater he will hide/sleep for long periods of time. If I take the structure out he swims happily and basks normally, usually in the morning. I want to have structure in the tank but not if it interrupts his normal behavior. What are your opinions? As an aside what do you think of his shell? I think it looks good.
Thanks again
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
kiwi

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:28 am   Re: Franklin Hiding/Sleeping

Hi kiwi! I don't think I've heard of that specific behavior, though maybe it's just an adjustment period? How long would you leave it in there?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:36 pm   Re: Franklin Hiding/Sleeping

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the response. It's happened in the past also. I had a rock cave I made in his old tank and he would stay in that cave hours and hours per day until I modified it. I guess I just forgot and when I set up his new tank a few weeks ago I placed some driftwood he could hide in and the behavior returned. It not a new behavior just one that returns everytime he has the opportunity. A friend of mine (not a turtle keeper, fish guy) said he's just being a RES. My thoughts are replacing hours of swimming, exploring and basking with sleeping/hiding can't be better.
kiwi

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:08 pm   Re: Franklin Hiding/Sleeping

Personalities can vary, does he have any privacy? Does he sleep when basking?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:52 pm   Re: Franklin Hiding/Sleeping

As far as privacy he has a 100 gallon tank blanketed with duckweed. If he has any trepidation when swimming he ducks under the bed of duckweed. Franklin is quite friendly and comes to the glass. I believe he recognizes the faces of me and my family. If he sees a food container in our hands he becomes frantic! There are extended periods where no one is near his tank. When he basks his usual position is all four extremities stretched out to the limit. His head is usually stretched out but he is not asleep.
kiwi

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:50 pm   Re: Franklin Hiding/Sleeping

Oh, I also think the shell looks fine. Was there anything in particular that bothered you?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:17 pm   Re: Franklin Hiding/Sleeping

Steve,
Nothing in particular just thought I'd get an experts opinion. I do find it amazing that you kindly answer people's questions. Thank you again.
Nick
kiwi

Return to General Care Discussion