Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New and trying to learn

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:17 pm   New and trying to learn

Hi,
I am new to the world of turtles. I am a preschool teacher in Istanbul. I am Australian and only speak a little Turkish. I discovered a small tank with two RES's in it at my school and I was immediately disturbed at the size of the turtles compared to the size of the tank. Admittedly, I knew NOTHING about RES's or any turtles but I just got a feeling that these turtles were not happy or being housed humanely. So I did some research, first to find out what kind of turtles they were. I have watched so many videos and read so many articles. I have to admit I am still confused and have been waking up at 2am thinking about the poor turtles and wishing I could move this process along faster so they are happy. I went to a pet store and with my limited Turkish ordered a tank to be made. It is 1m x 70 cm x 50 cm. It has a glass basking platform. The pet store man wrote a list of things that I needed and that he is preparing for me. Anyway...this is all very difficult in a foreign language!
So tomorrow morning I will pick up the new tank and supplies and take it to my school to set up. I think I will have many questions but my first is about the basking platform. It is glass. Do I need to put something on it so the turtles can climb on it? If so, what do you suggest?
Thanks in advance for all the help that I hope you are going to provide for me in making sure these turtles have a happy home!
Lal
Lal

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:20 am   Re: New and trying to learn

Hi Lal, welcome to the site! It's amazing what you're willing to do, kudos to you! Some with glass tanks also have a glass ramp, but if your tank does not have that then you will need to be a bit creative and look for something that can be used. Feel free to ask any questions!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:35 am   Re: New and trying to learn

Thanks Steve,
I set up the aquarium yesterday and it was great to see the turtles swimming for the first time in their lives. They seemed very happy. I waited and waited to see if they could climb up the ramp but they just kept swimming. Every time I put them on the platform they hopped straight back into the water. The guy at the pet store gave me two fluorescent strip lights. Each strip has a glass cover on it. I have a feeling that this is not right. I have seen online here in Turkey a bulb called a JBL UVB Reptile Daylight. I am guessing that this would supply heat and UVB. There are all different wattage bulbs. Which one should I get? Also, do the fluorescent strip lights provide any benefits to my turtles and I get the feeling that I should remove the glass from the strip lights from the bits and pieces that I have read. I am so scared that I have made such a fuss about these turtles at my school and now that I have this aquarium they will die when they seem to have lived quite happily (I know that is not true) in a centimetre of water with no lights!
Anyway, we will get the kids to suggest and vote on names this week.
I will try and work out how to add a photo or video here. Have to admit, I have fallen in love with these two turtles.
Lal
Lal

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:16 am   Re: New and trying to learn

Nothing is more enjoyable than seeing them do their turtly things. I'm not familiar with the "JBL UVB Reptile Daylight" but it does seem like it will work. You can probably get the lower wattage version and you would not need the strip lights. Make sure that daylight bulb gets put into the correct fixture (one that has a ceramic or porcelain base rated for that bulb's wattage).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:50 am   Re: New and trying to learn

Thanks Again,
Today they kids at my preschool saw the new aquarium and they just loved it. We will set up lots of turtle books and puzzles and a little plastic aquarium with plastic plants and toy turtles for the kids to play with. The kids will learn a lot and will hopefully enjoy taking care of them. I still have a lot to learn myself. I ordered a light for UVB light today. I hope it is right. Not sure about heat...am still searching for bulbs and options. It is very difficult as everything is in Turkish and all the pet store people seem to think that turtles and snakes are the same. It is frustrating.
Thanks for your help,
Lal
Lal

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:03 pm   Re: New and trying to learn

Hi I'm Stacy. I think what your doing is just great. I can also offer some help if you need it just ask.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.